Diving instructors - low standards debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like it is the LOB that possibly cares about the dive log, or at least that is what matters practically speaking.

If the person has a card from a recognized agency, sounds like they do, all good there.

If the person has enough dives to make the LOB happy, but no log, reconstruct one as best they can. It wouldn't be lying and wouldn't hurt to have something. People log in all sorts of different ways, some don't log at all, people rarely get them signed. No reason to get bent out of shape about the past here. But, find out what the LOB actually wants. Because really there is no such thing as proof, and I'm sure they know that. They also know dive count often doesn't have much relationship to competence, Asking someone to fill out and sign something to cover the dive op, followed by them deciding for themselves if someone can dive (and deciding what if anything to do about what they see) is pretty common.

If the person is basically a good diver but missing some skills or knowledge they should have, it would be good to fill in those areas through reading, a class, whatever. If they don't want to, and the OP isn't happy with the situation, then they shouldn't dive with them. Simple.

I agree but was responding to mac66 asking why OP cares about his buddy logging.

The couple of LOB's I've been on have both approached "see that log" as "sit down and have a discussion with the head divemaster/instructor about what/when/where you've been diving". This, to me, will give them a better idea of what to expect from you in the water than a logbook will.

The catch could be if the boat is in an area (or they themselves have been involved in) a lawsuit, where they were caught not following their stated standards.

As others have said though, there is no universal standard for what constitutes a Dive Log, so reconstructing something should not be big deal. In reality, they're going to be most concerned with how recently you've been in the water, and if you've been diving in any similar conditions (challenge/complexity wise).

Okay, I must have missed that part in the OP's long first post. The solution of course is as already stated, simply recreate the buddy's dive log.

LMFAOOOOO

Which agency was your buddy “trained” through?
Doesn't seem to be relevant.
Great skill is great skill.
The rest is invoicing.

Doesn't seem to be relevant.
Great skill is great skill.
The rest is invoicing.

The buddy was trained in Cuba. That was enough info. Cuba doesn’t inspire great confidence that it was good training.

The buddy was trained in Cuba. That was enough info. Cuba doesn’t inspire great confidence that it was good training.

Cuba has the best-preserved Caribbean reef because Fidel went diving there one day and after coming up he ordered Cuban Navy to guard it from everyone. They let like 300 divers/year in, and marine scientists world-wide stand in line for years to dive Queens's Gardens (except 'merrykin ones: unca Sam don't let 'em).

Yeah, I'm sure Cubans don't know how to dive, nor how to teach: they got off trees yesterday and haven't lost the tails yet.[/plonk]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom