Anyone have an opinion on the Backscatter shootout?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M DeM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings-

I just went from a 2008 Canon 7D to a brand spankin' new Canon R6. Got a new Isotta system I've yet to get wet, and new strobes. I'm officially able to try out TTL.

Obviously, I'm hankering to try it all out. (I have used the R5 with a nauticam. It's lovely!) I'm wondering about the Backscatter Shootout.

My only hesitation is that it looks BIG. That's not necessarily bad, but I've not been on a big trip like that.

Also, it's two weeks long. Has anyone done the full two weeks? Is there enough variation to make it worthwhile?

Greetings-

I just went from a 2008 Canon 7D to a brand spankin' new Canon R6. Got a new Isotta system I've yet to get wet, and new strobes. I'm officially able to try out TTL.

Obviously, I'm hankering to try it all out. (I have used the R5 with a nauticam. It's lovely!) I'm wondering about the Backscatter Shootout.

My only hesitation is that it looks BIG. That's not necessarily bad, but I've not been on a big trip like that.

Also, it's two weeks long. Has anyone done the full two weeks? Is there enough variation to make it worthwhile?
Yeah, thanks..
Now I have the same questions you do. And also, I need to start digging through my backyard for an extra $5500 bucks :p

I have many friends who go every year and absolutely love it. That being said, I personally would not want to be anywhere with that many big cameras and photographers. It would be super beneficial if you were looking at buying a new set-up and you wanted to try out new cameras/housings. I have done a few LOB photography trips and they were fun, but when people are fighting for space on the camera table or camera room its pretty funny to watch. Either way... you would probably have fun, learn a lot and get great experience at shooting and looking for subjects!

I have many friends who go every year and absolutely love it. That being said, I personally would not want to be anywhere with that many big cameras and photographers. It would be super beneficial if you were looking at buying a new set-up and you wanted to try out new cameras/housings. I have done a few LOB photography trips and they were fun, but when people are fighting for space on the camera table or camera room its pretty funny to watch. Either way... you would probably have fun, learn a lot and get great experience at shooting and looking for subjects!
Can you tell us more about the LOB photography trips? I don't remember seeing those anywhere. We were looking at the backscatter trip to Anilao in March, but the Philippines is still closed (AFAIK) and the flights are getting more and more expensive. Ugh.

Yeah, thanks..
Now I have the same questions you do. And also, I need to start digging through my backyard for an extra $5500 bucks :p
OOF. Don't I know it!

That's what I'm wondering... how many people on a single dive?

I have done a few LOB photography trips and they were fun, but when people are fighting for space on the camera table or camera room its pretty funny to watch.
FWIW, I've done two trips on The Smiling Seahorse in Thailand now, and heading out on a third in a week. The owner/operator is an avid photographer himself, and the boat has a fairly spacious and very well appointed camera room. Even with a bunch of handled rigs aboard, space isn't much of a problem.

1639277780079.png

Can you tell us more about the LOB photography trips? I don't remember seeing those anywhere. We were looking at the backscatter trip to Anilao in March, but the Philippines is still closed (AFAIK) and the flights are getting more and more expensive. Ugh.
Check out Mozaik Underwater Cameras. They have a travel section on their website in which the trips are either geared towards UW Photography, or are dedicated UW Photo Workshops. You never know, you might be able to find something that you like on it.

I have not been on one of these trips, but I have been to a couple Scubaboard trips where Backscatter showed up. The information, help and classes were all really good. Also there is all that loaner/demo gear available as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom