Question Need recommendation on hoodless 7mm semi-dry wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Waterproof SD Combat is a semi-dry with no attached hood.

Probably going to get flamed but I'm pretty partial to my 6.5 Mares Isotherm semi. Looks like that phased out for the Flexa Z-Therm which functionally appears great, especially with the front zipper. The Isotherm zipper is on the back, shoulder to shoulder, which can be incredibly cumbersome and requires a range of motion that some people just don't have.

I’m also in the market for a cold water wetsuit or semi dry wetsuit. Suits I’m researching are the Bare Velocity, Hollis Neotek, Scuba Pro Nova Scotia, and SD Combat. Freedom of movement and ease of donning and doffing is important to me. My last semi dry is an Excel from 2006. It served me well in Monterey as long as the water temperature was 50 or above but it was very restrictive and hard to get in and out of. I’m hoping a lot has changed in the last 16 years!

If anyone has personal experience with any of the suits I listed, please share your review.

Thanks!

I love my Waterproof W7. I use this suit all the time and it performs like a rockstar.

I wasn't too happy with my velocity semi or regular. The neotek is a great suit but like most thicker suits I wouldn't say easy donning/doffing.

Around 50 degrees or above I now use my deep6 7mm, if it had a better back zip it would be a semidry.

I love my Waterproof W7. I use this suit all the time and it performs like a rockstar.
I just looked at it online but could not tell where it was manufactured. Not that it’s a big deal because practically everything is made in Asia.

What’s the coldest water temperature you’ve comfortably dived in with the W7?

I wasn't too happy with my velocity semi or regular. The neotek is a great suit but like most thicker suits I wouldn't say easy donning/doffing.

Around 50 degrees or above I now use my deep6 7mm, if it had a better back zip it would be a semidry.
What didn’t you like about the Bare?

I’m eventually going to get a dry suit if I’ll be diving in sub 50F water again, but for now I’ll stay with a traditional wetsuit for diving SoCal year round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom