Question Need recommendation on hoodless 7mm semi-dry wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerobics111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, I've been considering to buy a semi-dry to make my dive in Monterey warmer. I currently wear 7mm standard two piece wetsuit, with a M sized bottom, S sized top, and a L sized hood (male).

All the semi-dry my local dive shop carries have hood attached and I've tried M sized Apeks ThermiQ Men’s Semi Dry Suit as well as M sized Hollis Neotek 8/7/6mm Semi Dry Suit. In both cases, legs and body fitted well but the hood was extremely difficult to take off. I had to get another person's help and also fully exhausted my arm strength before I could take it off. At one point I thought about using a pair of scissors......I guess it's a combination of a larger head size and not enough tricep : (

Are there any hoodless 7mm semi-dry that you would recommend? Then I can pair it with a separate L hood.

Btw I understand that a dry suit is better, but I’m not ready to get into that.

Thanks a lot!!!

You could consider the Henderson AquaLock 7mm. It is not a tru semi-dry, but when paired with an AquaLock hood, it is pretty close. It does have ankle and wrist seals, but not a dry zipper. We use them here at work (slowly replacing our old semi-drys with these. Our divers far prefer them. The coldest water we use them in is around 50° F.

YMMV,

Jackie

If I were in the market for another semidry Id get a neotek with the hood and you will never be cold. The nature of the beast is you can feel locked in.

But if you want to stick to a hoodless semidry then a Pinnacle Kodiak is a great suit.

A well fitted back zip suit with a well fitted hooded vest is about 95% as good as a well fitted semi dry suit IMO but provides more head and neck mobility and more options during warmer months.

Good fit is the key....brand is much less important that a suit that fits properly (snug but not uncomfortable and no big gaps under arms, in crotch etc.). You have to try them on. If you are non standard height/weight proportion you probably need a custom.

Have you considered a 7 mm freedive suit. Our MAKO suits require lubricant to put on, but this makes a huge reduction in effort required to put the suit on. They are also easy to remove due to the elasticity of the neoprene. Of course our suits have an integrated hood that we expect will be comfortable, there is zero leakage around the neck because there is no opening there. If you MUST buy a larger hood, you could remove the integrated one with scissors in a minute or so.

Also since there are no zippers to leak, this suit should be as dry or drier than a semi-dry scuba suit.

Thanks
dano

I think MJM wetsuits are a made to measure wetsuit and I think semi-local to you.

Hi all, I've been considering to buy a semi-dry to make my dive in Monterey warmer. I currently wear 7mm standard two piece wetsuit, with a M sized bottom, S sized top, and a L sized hood (male).

All the semi-dry my local dive shop carries have hood attached and I've tried M sized Apeks ThermiQ Men’s Semi Dry Suit as well as M sized Hollis Neotek 8/7/6mm Semi Dry Suit. In both cases, legs and body fitted well but the hood was extremely difficult to take off. I had to get another person's help and also fully exhausted my arm strength before I could take it off. At one point I thought about using a pair of scissors......I guess it's a combination of a larger head size and not enough tricep : (

Are there any hoodless 7mm semi-dry that you would recommend? Then I can pair it with a separate L hood.

Btw I understand that a dry suit is better, but I’m not ready to get into that.

Thanks a lot!!!
@Aerobics111 Have a look at this suit: Farmer John & Beavertail Jacket Combo - JMJ Wetsuits

Custom fit it's very worthy of Monterey. Be sure to check the price compared to popular stock suits - you might be surprised what you get for your dollar.

Just let us know if you have any questions,
Derek & JMJ

I see they also have a full suit with attached hood. Very much like the typical semi-dry with the back zip.

I have not had a MTM wetsuit, but I can tell you there is a world of difference between a sized correctly off the peg drysuit vs. nearly the same suit but made to measure.

Judging from your mix of sizes, you would probably be one of the best candidates for a made to measure suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom