Pony Bottle: Valve On or Off while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the OP’s bottom line question, I do like Marie first responded, charged but valve off.

If you’ve a back-mounted pony (i.e. attached to your single tank), how can you turn it on in the water? Ask a buddy?

A bailout/redundant backup needs to be immediately available when you need it. Moreover you should be very practiced with using it so it’s automatic. It should also have a clearly available pressure gauge, not a button gauge.

A side-slung cylinder fits this well. Take a stage mounting kit with you, rent another ali80 — or smaller tank if available — then all’s fine.

If you’ve a back-mounted pony (i.e. attached to your single tank), how can you turn it on in the water? Ask a buddy?

A bailout/redundant backup needs to be immediately available when you need it. Moreover you should be very practiced with using it so it’s automatic. It should also have a clearly available pressure gauge, not a button gauge.

A side-slung cylinder fits this well. Take a stage mounting kit with you, rent another ali80 — or smaller tank if available — then all’s fine.

Back mounted ponies are an abomination, IMO. You’re supposed to sling them at your side like the good Lord intended. Public safety divers do get a pass on the back mounted ponies. Then there are the people who hang them horizontally across their bodies. Face palm. I have no words.

And don’t forget the at least several deaths of divers with back mounted ponies who apparently they thought they were on their main tank but were breathing from pony instead and drowned.

Back mounted ponies are an abomination, IMO. You’re supposed to sling them at your side like the good Lord intended. Public safety divers do get a pass on the back mounted ponies. Then there are the people who hang them horizontally across their bodies. Face palm. I have no words.
Back mounted pony bottles are still very popular with old-school divers in the UK. Uncommon to see younger divers with that rig; they tend to use a twinset.

when we do that they are always on and connected to the switch block but that is a specific use case and if you're going that far, just wear a bloody set of doubles

When the OP described his given configuration I had a picture of someone with two spgs dangling on the left and right and a 7' hose shoved all over a little 13cf, trying to open a valve behind his back while entangled in fishing line. . .

I use both methods.

If spearing: back mounted, inverted, charged and off. Having it inverted and canted in slightly makes for very fast and easy access. Yes, I am limited to using one hand to turn on, but I find that acceptable risk. Slinging is not an option if your shooting.

If site seeing, I sling it, valve on. I find it more awkward to turn it on if it's to my side. I do have shoulder issues, so mobility is a factor for me.

Periodically during dives in either configuration I will reach for either valve or 2nd to have the different position fresh on my mind jic.

Back
Top Bottom