Trip Report USS Burns (San Clemente Island -- 270 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As mentioned in my previous post, I have created a dive report and history of the USS Burns. Once again, it was initially discovered by the UB88 team. She rests on her starboard side and is starting to fall apart. The smokestacks and bridge structures were never designed to be horizontal and they have largely fallen into the sand (the same thing is starting to happen on the Yukon in San Diego). It in no way detracts from the impressive size and nature of this wreck.

The USS Burns had an incredible history of service and received 11 battle stars. She participated in pretty much every major battle and operation in the Pacific during WW II. She was sunk during testing of the 8" 55-caliber Mark 71 gun and rests in about 270 feet of water near Pyramid Cove on San Clemente Island.

The Burns is slightly more accessible than the Vammen but is still a pretty serious dive. Kevin Bond and I dove her after we did the Vammen.

The full story of the USS Burns, our dive on it, and a bunch of photos and link to Kevin's excellent video are at the link below:

Here is a low-res picture of one of the stern 5" guns. Just to give a sense of scale, that barrel is close to 16 FEET long.

burns-cover2.jpg

Regards,

- brett

Great post - thank you. Those natural light images are really nice.

Thanks! They are a bit grainy, but they do give a good sense of the environment. Here is another natural light photo I took when we were heading back to the line. You can kind of see the 5 torpedo launchers at the top middle of the photo:

burns-nat.jpg

Regards,

- brett

nice report and great pictures

Well beyond my recreational dive capabilities. So glad you are willing to share your exploits!!! Pictures are fantastic, your report well written and the video let's me live vicariously through you guys!

Sundiver is a great operation.

nice report and great pictures

Thanks, Jake!

- brett

Well beyond my recreational dive capabilities. So glad you are willing to share your exploits!!! Pictures are fantastic, your report well written and the video let's me live vicariously through you guys!

Sundiver is a great operation.

Thanks for your message and feedback, Don.

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom