How do I film myself doing a drill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are two that I have made of myself while diving. The first, showing the DSV (Dive Surface Valve) mouthpiece was shot in the pool. The second, about "Getting the Lead Out," was shot in open water. Both use a GoPro mounted on my very old bicycle helmet (without padding).

SeaRat

Not trying to be a smartass, but don't you have a dive friend or two that would be happy to video you while doing drills and vice versa? If I lived in your area, I would be happy to do that for you, especially if you offered to buy a pint after the dive/video session.

So I have tried that but the footage was terrible and not so useful.

It is after reviewing the footage on the first dive that we tried putting the camera on the container itself during the second dive.

It’s actually harder than you think to make usable footage of someone doing a drill. :)

Maybe we were too close to each other when filming …

The trick for this is the following:

Back off so you have lots of room in the footage around the diver, then use some free video software (something like DaVinci Resolve) to add some basic stabilization. The simplest stabilization uses cropping, hence why you want to leave some room in the footage around the diver.

The other trick: Have the filmer practice better buoyancy control :wink:

My attempt

My attempt
I need to find some time to edit my attempt and add the Benny Hill track to share 😂

Friend of mine uses an old gopro display stand (the kind that the camera came mounted to in the retail packaging) and added a weight bag to the bottom of the stand.

Back
Top Bottom