Casa Mexicana Breakfast Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just returned on Friday- the hotel was full (there was a big bicycle event on the island, plus a business event and normal divers/tourists).

It seemed to be fully staffed, they were constantly cleaning and I was very impressed with how the floors always seemed to be spotless in the lobby and on the fifth floor (where I stayed). They were doing maintenance on the escalators, the pool, and had daily housekeeping available of you desired.

The first day (with the huge bike crowd) they did off-menu breakfast in the lobby.

The next few days were buffet in the atrium area on second floor (but you had to go to lobby and take the stairs). I say "buffet" but it was more made-to-order.

The last day it was full on buffet, where the staff served from behind plexiglass.

If anything, it seemed either Suites Bahia or Colonial would close if they do not reopen soon. Both looked to be closed, and in desperate need of upkeep when I walked by.
Great info, particularly on the buffet. Sounds like they can do the buffet if they want, so they either have their permits now or were bulls***ing me last June. I don't care; we have been there so many times that we know all these folks and some of their families. I was concerned--and still am to some extent--that Bahia or Colonial would drag the Casa Mexicana down since they are owned by the same company.

I did see some folks who ordered the night before and had a table reserved for them with their room number, and they always got their food within minutes of sitting down.

You could also still order from your table even with the buffet, so if there is/was a permit issue, maybe they are creatively interpreting it? Either way, breakfast was great and always came out quick. The coffee has room for improvement, but it was still good enough to get the motor running.

Well, I'll be there for an extended trip this December and will post what is going on during that time. I loved that massive open buffet pre-COVID but managed last year without it and did enjoy that dipping pool heated to 90 degrees. The one thing I will not tolerate that I have now become very accustomed to over the past few years is the HEATED pool that I enjoy after AM dives. They started heating it about 4? years ago. If that pool is cold or empty or under some sort of construction I'll be checking out and heading elsewhere.

As many of you CM regulars know, Jamie who managed the buffet and many other things was let go when the buffet closed and Jimmy who had diabetes passed from Covid over a year ago from what I was told. Last December Vincente and Gustavo seem to have replaced them. Both are great guys and I expect they are still there and will be great again this year.

As many of you CM regulars know, Jamie who managed the buffet and many other things was let go when the buffet closed and Jimmy who had diabetes passed from Covid over a year ago from what I was told. Last December Vincente and Gustavo seem to have replaced them. Both are great guys and I expect they are still there and will be great again this year.
When we were there last March (2021), our group took Jamie and his wife out to supper. I can report that he is happy in his retirement, as he calls it and spends his time with hobbies. His wife said he should get out more. Ditto on Vincente and Gustavo. There are some other new people serving breakfast who are great, and the ladies in the office are very helpful.

So very sorry to learn that Jimmy has passed away. One of the pleasures of returning to Casa Mex was seeing familiar faces of staff. I will miss his friendly smile--he was a kind, gentle man.

Currently wrapping up an 11-night stay @ Casa Mex. Breakfast has moved back up to the 2nd floor, but the format has changed. Second floor access is denied (roped off). Access is from the lobby stairs--guests start lining up at the top of the stairs at 6:45-6:50. Temps are taken, room #'s recorded, and the lineup continues. Food requests are handled individually, according to your place in line, so best to arrive early. Fortunately, there is usually 1 person handling the omelette/pancake section, while another oversees the fresh fruit/yoghurt section. It works--but not as well as pre-covid--and fewer choices (no sweet pastries, no juicer machine for fresh carrots/fruit), no linen tablecloths/napkins.

Currently wrapping up an 11-night stay @ Casa Mex. Breakfast has moved back up to the 2nd floor, but the format has changed. Second floor access is denied (roped off). Access is from the lobby stairs--guests start lining up at the top of the stairs at 6:45-6:50. Temps are taken, room #'s recorded, and the lineup continues. Food requests are handled individually, according to your place in line, so best to arrive early. Fortunately, there is usually 1 person handling the omelette/pancake section, while another oversees the fresh fruit/yoghurt section. It works--but not as well as pre-covid--and fewer choices (no sweet pastries, no juicer machine for fresh carrots/fruit), no linen tablecloths/napkins.
Sounds like a step backward from the sit down tables in the lobby.

Sounds like a step backward from the sit down tables in the lobby.
I was here in September for 2 weeks (for the lobby service) and am currently a guest, so I have experienced both formats. The green garden area of the 2nd floor makes this a more welcoming area for breakfast; but the overall "food service" was more efficient when done in the lobby--especially when meal choices were submitted the night before.

I'm at Casa Mexicana right now. Breakfast is OK. There is no line after 7:15 or so.

Back
Top Bottom