Question Tow cord material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Has anyone found the "ideal" material for a tow cord? The nylon line that came with my scooter eventually cinched down so tight it wasn't adjustable. I picked up some tough double braid from West Marine and it slips no matter how I tie the adjustable knot. A dive buddy friend whose opinion I greatly trust yesterday said double braid doesn't work and avoid paracord. Is there some type of line to use for tow cords that works best, i.e., adjusts when I want, holds, but doesn't bind up over time as it gets tighter and tighter?

what kind of knots are you using? What kind of nylon line and double braid were you using? Are you picking the scooter up from the tow cord?

Solid braid nylon is what I use personally.

what kind of knots are you using? What kind of nylon line and double braid were you using? Are you picking the scooter up from the tow cord?

Solid braid nylon is what I use personally.
Tautline hitch. It cinched up so much with the nylon line that came with my scooter I couldn't adjust it. Then I got some double braid from West Marine but it slips with a tautline hitch. I tried an "arrowhead hitch" I found on the internet and that worked a little better, but still slips.

Yes, I sometimes pick up the scooter by the tow cord, or it's sometimes handed to me in the water that way, other time picked up by the nose

Try 1"/25mm soft webbing with tri-slides or even cam buckles if knots aren't working for you.
For tow cord on my scooter, or for the crotch strap on my backplate? I want my tow cord to still be easily adjustable if I'm on the surface for an extended duration, and there are just small (1/8" - 1/4") holes for the tow cord to go through. Otherwise I'd have to add a shackle and start making things just to interface the wider tow cord to my scooter

Why does it need to be adjusted so much?
Once it's set I don't adjust mine,
Maybe if someone else is going to use it,

I find it likes to get longer so I just taped mine, don't need to adjust it any more,

Tautline hitch. It cinched up so much with the nylon line that came with my scooter I couldn't adjust it. Then I got some double braid from West Marine but it slips with a tautline hitch. I tried an "arrowhead hitch" I found on the internet and that worked a little better, but still slips.

Yes, I sometimes pick up the scooter by the tow cord, or it's sometimes handed to me in the water that way, other time picked up by the nose

Picking up by the tow cord is what it cinching that knot down so tight and since nylon is hygroscopic it is swelling in the water. Switch to solid braid PET/dacron and you should be better off

For tow cord on my scooter, or for the crotch strap on my backplate?

Tow cord on your DPV. I find narrow webbing easier to manage and stuff in a small bag than dealing will small stuff (< 1/2"/12mm line). I even use it on DSMBs unless I plan to deploy from the bottom.

20Ft SMB Line Rev 2.JPG

Tow cord on your DPV. I find narrow webbing easier to manage and stuff in a small bag than dealing will small stuff (< 1/2"/12mm line). I even use it on DSMBs unless I plan to deploy from the bottom.

View attachment 694488

I've never seen anyone around here use webbing for a tow cord! But it's an interesting concept. Everyone pretty much just uses 1/8" line from top to bottom with a bolt snap either running free or locked in with a lark's head. I think the bolt snap that attaches to my crotch strap would slide around it. Then would I use stainless D-shackles through the two holes on the propeller shroud to connect the webbing? Right now there is a 3/8" hole on the handle end, and a 1/4" hole on the bottom of the shroud on a piece of small bent metal screwed on to the shroud

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom