Extended Range courses via SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaneda13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at slowly moving my way up the chain to dabble in tech diving. I'm getting a backplate and wing setup for myself this holiday to replace my jacket BCD. I was looking at the SSI course for extended range (starting off with a single wing, but also looking at getting a twin wing). SSI offers 2 extended range courses, one on air and one on Nitrox. I've got my normal Nitrox cert already, along with my deep, but my questions is would taking the normal extended range course make sense since I already have the Nixtrox cert, or are taking the extended range classes really worth it?

Looking at slowly moving my way up the chain to dabble in tech diving. I'm getting a backplate and wing setup for myself this holiday to replace my jacket BCD. I was looking at the SSI course for extended range (starting off with a single wing, but also looking at getting a twin wing). SSI offers 2 extended range courses, one on air and one on Nitrox. I've got my normal Nitrox cert already, along with my deep, but my questions is would taking the normal extended range course make sense since I already have the Nixtrox cert, or are taking the extended range classes really worth it?
My opinion only.
You live in the US. Helium is available. Deep air diving is not something that needs to be done anymore.
It is dangerous and should be avoided where possible. If you are looking at going into technical diving, it is time to seek out technical instruction. Most of the time that means looking outside the dive shop. There are some that do it well, but most dabble in it poorly.
My recommendation, seek out qualified instruction and go the route of intro to tech, and ANDP with helitrox. Or another option from a different agency is Advanced recreational trimix.

These are my opinions and they are worth double what you paid for them.

I see two SSI certs: "Extended Range" (using air/nitrox or trimix) and "Extended Range Nitrox" (air/nitrox).
The description of the former has a qualifier: "An air option is available for those areas where helium is inaccessible." My interpretation is the XR-Nitrox course is that "air option" mentioned.

SSi has goofy names for their tech courses. All the other agencies use "extended range" as a deep air cert (down to 190 on air usually), which is not commonly embraced when helium is available.

comparing (roughly) what other agencies have as standard from my 1 minute of looking at the SSI webpage:
Extended range foundations= intro to tech
Extended range nitrox = advanced nitrox
Extended range = deco procedures
technical extended ranges = trimix
hypoxic trimix=hypoxic trimix

You will not be able to hop straight to "extended range." there will be some prerequisites. Usually advanced nitrox and deco procedures is taught as a combined class, so extended range nitrox and extended range might be combined as well. But you shouldn't be able to do that in a single tank setup.

If you can, run away.

Look at what you want to do, where you want to go and figure out what training you need to get there. Particularly at this level, the agency is mostly irrelevant. Find a good instructor that knows what they are doing. You will have to travel for these classes at some point anyway, may as well get excellent training from the start.

All of these complete sense. I am going into this understanding that at some point I will exceed that limits of my LDS. They do have friends who teach Tech, so I have little doubt that I won't take on their recommendations. I would like to get as much as possible from my LDS, as I feel very comfortable with them, and have enjoyed both training and dive trips with them. My end goal at this point, is deep water full ship penetration. I'm still a long ways from that, and I realize this. I'm like to lay out a road map for my training (both for recreation and in my career), so that I pace myself properly. With that said, at the same time, money is money and taking classes that don't actually further my goals in this, is simply a waste. Looking down the list of pre-rec's from some of these classes is where I'm at and trying to piece together the best order for me, both in training and financially.

@sea_ledford nailed the explanation for the SSI tech training path. If you want to slowly work your way into technical diving within SSI I would suggest either the SSI Deep Specialty and then the SSI Decompression Diver certs. Both are taught in recreational set-ups and start building up the skills and knowledge necessary for technical diving.

As an alternative you could pursue GUE fundies or UTD Essential (there is a UTD instructor in Michigian who teaches in your neck of the woods). These courses would work to build a foundation of skills that can warp speed you on your way to tech.

Here's the SSI roadmap, and it looks like both extended range and overhead are separate forks. I would like to follow the recommended courses, and I think the are all genuinely practical. As for the extended range, it looks linear from Extended Range (either air or nitrox), Technical Extended Range, then Tri-Mix.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 1.20.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 1.20.59 PM.png
    291.7 KB · Views: 369
As an alternative you could pursue GUE fundies or UTD Essential (there is a UTD instructor in Michigian who teaches in your neck of the woods). These courses would work to build a foundation of skills that can warp speed you on your way to tech.
I would say this should come before courses that teach to extend the depth range.

Not only GUE fundies and UTD essential exist: there are so many other similar courses from other agencies. If you really must stick to SSI, the right course should be Extended range foundations:

However, my suggestion is to first look at your objectives and then at the instructor/agency.

EDIT: @Kaneda13, why do you want to stick to SSI? EDIT 2: ok, I see your previous post, now I know why :)

My end goal at this point, is deep water full ship penetration. I'm still a long ways from that, and I realize this. I'm like to lay out a road map for my training (both for recreation and in my career), so that I pace myself properly.
That is a pretty clear objective with measurable goals along the way.

Depending on what you mean by "deep", the certs you'll NEED are advanced nitrox and deco procedures (helitrox would be better, and can usually be done at the same time), and a technical wreck penetration cert is certainly strongly advised, if not required.

What you can do as soon as possible without needing to take a class: stitch to backplate and wing and a long hose primary and dive it all the time. Get you gear sorted and squared away, and your basics of buoyancy, stability and trim solid. Taking classes or having good mentors will make that much faster, but you'll rarely be asked for any sort of intro to tech cert. Fundies sounds like it would be ideal for you, or a GOOD intro to tech class. The sooner you are able to switch to this style of diving the easier everything else will be.

Finally, dive as much as you can. There is simply no substitute for time in the water.

What you can do as soon as possible without needing to take a class: stitch to backplate and wing and a long hose primary and dive it all the time. Get you gear sorted and squared away, and your basics of buoyancy, stability and trim solid. Taking classes or having good mentors will make that much faster, but you'll rarely be asked for any sort of intro to tech cert. Fundies sounds like it would be ideal for you, or a GOOD intro to tech class. The sooner you are able to switch to this style of diving the easier everything else will be.

Finally, dive as much as you can. There is simply no substitute for time in the water.
This is my rationing to getting my new backplate and wing, even though the rest of my gear is less than a year old. I've purchased the OMS Comfort Harness III, and the stainless steel backplate. Once I get that in (hopefully tomorrow), I'll work with my local dive shop about getting the right wing for me/my gear. When I first started my open water certs, I bought all my gear before hand. I'm a STRONG believer in learning on what you're going to be using, again both in my hobbies and my career. Sadly, as much as I like my Aqualung i770R, I know I'm going to have to give that up at some point, as it won't do Tri-mix, assuming I go all the way to that point. I'm planning on at least one trip down to the gulf this winter, and I'll be touring the quarries as soon as it warms up. I know they don't offer much in the way of depth, but just getting comfortable in my backplate/wing, and working with long hose, can only serve to help me in the long run.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom