New to diving in my 60’s and love it! recently qualified Advanced open water. Have a question About diving after breaking a bone ? How long? 🤷‍♀️

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stelb42

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi. Am 69 yr recently qualified advanced open water female diver . Recent sternum fracture from car crash! Anyone any thoughts on how long til can dive again?

Welcome aboard. Best answer: ask your doctor. My real world answer is it depends on what you broke.

I broke a collar bone and was diving before I was healed. After rotator cuff surgery, my physical therapist told me I couldn't dive for a year. I hadn't realized until that day that a year was only four weeks long.

Hi. Am 69 yr recently qualified advanced open water female diver . Recent sternum fracture from car crash! Anyone any thoughts on how long til can dive again?
Welcome to ScubaBoard @Stelb42. Thanks for joining the forum.

Welcome.

To answer your question only you and your medical team can answer that. Everyone heals differently. I would say when you feel up to diving ask your doctor if they agree.

Is yr breathing on land ok? Sternum fractures are painful, broke a rib and breathing with that was bad enough 🙁 k

I would say whenever your physician clears you for full activity, including weight-bearing, and barring any other health issues or underlying conditions. As other posters have noted, there is some individual variability.

Best regards,
DDM

Welcome aboard. Best answer: ask your doctor. My real world answer is it depends on what you broke.

I broke a collar bone and was diving before I was healed. After rotator cuff surgery, my physical therapist told me I couldn't dive for a year. I hadn't realized until that day that a year was only four weeks long.
Lol! I have been told by a diving friend that most all Nhs docs will play safe and say a year! I fractured my sternum ( or, the seatbelt did 😟) my year May not be that long either….. 🤷‍♀️ But I don’t want to put myself at risk…. But not diving for a year 😱
Consider asking DAN Ask a Medic - Divers Alert Network

How long since your fracture?
Current symptons, pain, etc.?
Is your sternum stable?
Did you have any complications with the fracture, pneumothorax...?
I have just been told about DAN! My fracture was 7 days ago . My next dive holiday booked for Feb/March. I have never broken a bone before but mine is closed fracture with no underlying complications so am hopeful… I may contact DAN and see if can get to have a assessment. ? Maybe will feel lot better by Jan 🤷‍♀️

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom