USS Vammen (San Clemente Island -- 340 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As mentioned in my previous post, I've put together a detailed post about the history of the USS Vammen (some of it from the UB88 site) and included deck plans and quite a few still shots along with some screen captures from video shot by Kevin Bond. The wreck isn't dived very often so I thought people would enjoy seeing the wreck.

All the details are at:

USS Vammen DE-644 (San Clemente Island — 340 fsw)

Here is a picture looking up at the tower at about 300 feet deep on the deck:

vm-cover-1.jpg

Excellent lighting. You were at 300' when you took this?
Ok, I just read your report. All I can say is WOW!! I can understand why you only made it through the aft section. It's got to be pretty dark down there. The Yukon can get dark and it's only 100+. Some excellent shots with no backscatter!!!!

Excellent lighting. You were at 300' when you took this?

Yes, approximately. The sand is at 340 fsw and that picture is basically on the deck looking up. I've got two BigBlue 15k lights illuminating the foreground.

- brett

Ok, I just read your report. All I can say is WOW!! I can understand why you only made it through the aft section. It's got to be pretty dark down there. The Yukon can get dark and it's only 100+. Some excellent shots with no backscatter!!!!

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I did clean up some backscatter in Lightroom but not a ton.

- brett

Another excellent writeup. Very cool to see you trying out the climbing ascender.

🤩

Petzl the dive company! Make sure to toss the ascender in fresh water or rinse it soon after leaving the water, the aluminum of climbing equipment does not like salt water (or salt in the air) at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom