Advice on Philippines Itinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A driver that drove our group from Moalboal to Cebu airport made the 3+ hour trip in about 2. Hire him. (He played chicken with an ambulance most of the way. Here and there we saw buses fallen over into ditches at the side of the road. I have never been so happy to get out of a van.)

Yes, it's definitely the timing in the Philippines that can cause problems...the roads can be narrow and windy but also clogged with traffic. It's something that I've not encountered in other countries....you get either traffic or windy/narrow but not both. Just need to allow time.
I just literally guffawed at the "but not both." So true. OK. I think I am getting an idea of how to evaluate this itinerary. Thanks.

A driver that drove our group from Moalboal to Cebu airport made the 3+ hour trip in about 2. Hire him. (He played chicken with an ambulance most of the way. Here and there we saw buses fallen over into ditches at the side of the road. I have never been so happy to get out of a van.)
Funny.

07 - 12 Feb Sogod Bay
13 Feb Leaving for Dumaguete
22 Feb Magic Island

My suggestion:
13 Feb Leaving for Malapascua via Cebu City. I know you are not keen for the shark but surely thresher shark is something else.
4 - 5 days on the Island and then depart for either Cabilao or Alona Beach before heading to Magic Island.

Sight seeing at Camiguin(Island with 7 volcanoes). There should be direct flight from Cebu City or you can travel by ferry via Cagayan de Oro.

07 - 12 Feb Sogod Bay
22 Feb Magic Island

My suggestion:
13 Feb Leaving for Malapascua via Cebu City. I know you are not keen for the shark but surely thresher shark is something else.
4 - 5 days on the Island and then depart for either Cabilao or Alona Beach before heading to Magic Island.

Sight seeing at Camiguin(Island with 7 volcanoes). There should be direct flight from Cebu City or you can travel by ferry via Cagayan de Oro.
Thanks. Let me think on this. Why are the thresher sharks so special?

07 - 12 Feb Sogod Bay
22 Feb Magic Island

My suggestion:

One question: I have a pre-paid reservation at El Galleon (PG) from 2/17-2/21 (departing on 2/22). How can your suggestion work? Maybe I should skip Dumaguete?

1. The tail of the thresher shark is unique and also the lovely big eyes.
2. Can you not change the date of both bookings? Because I really cannot see both places are fully booked in Feb.

1. The tail of the thresher shark is unique and also the lovely big eyes.
2. Can you not change the date of both bookings? Because I really cannot see both places are fully booked in Feb.
Thanks for this information. I will try again to check on availability. As I said, Magic was definitely booked up 9 months ago. There were a number of rebooked stays because of covid-related cancellations However, that may have changed. El Galleon definitely was very flexible. It seems to me, though, that If I can't change Magic, there's not any reason to change El Galleon.

I could skip Dauin and go to Malapascua instead. In the latter case I'd be taking a ferry to Cebu, and a transfer to Malapascua. Would you recommend that?

Thanks for this information. I will try again to check on availability. As I said, Magic was definitely booked up 9 months ago. There were a number of rebooked stays because of covid-related cancellations However, that may have changed. El Galleon definitely was very flexible. It seems to me, though, that If I can't change Magic, there's not any reason to change El Galleon.

I could skip Dauin and go to Malapascua instead. In the latter case I'd be taking a ferry to Cebu, and a transfer to Malapascua. Would you recommend that?
Fully booked up to 9 months ago!!!!! REALLY? The country has been off limited for quite a while. I won't be at all surprised that Magic Island is one of those places that just would not entertain the idea of full refund(could be wrong here).

1. If Magic cannot accommodate you earlier then you might have to choose between Dauin and Malapascua.
2. You have to contact any operators on Malapascua to check with private transfer. There is public bus and ferry across but not too sure about the present situation. "Evolution" on Malapascua gets my vote.
3. Sogod Bay - Malapascua - PG - Moalboal - Subic(?)- sight seeing.
4. By far the best wrecks diving in the country is in Coron so if time is tight I would skip Subic. USS New York is the jewel in the crown in Subic but it has tendency to be off limited pre-covid time.
5. There is twice weekly flight by Cebu Pacific(Tue and Thurs) to Clark(1-2 hrs by bus or shorter by private to Subic Bay). However public bus only goes as far as Olongapo and you need to arrange either trike or jeepney to your resort. And if you decided to stay inside the FREE port then you have to arrange for private transfer because no public transport permitted!!!!

Fully booked up to 9 months ago!!!!! REALLY? The country has been off limited for quite a while. I won't be at all surprised that Magic Island is one of those places that just would not entertain the idea of full refund(could be wrong here).

1. If Magic cannot accommodate you earlier then you might have to choose between Dauin and Malapascua.
2. You have to contact any operators on Malapascua to check with private transfer. There is public bus and ferry across but not too sure about the present situation. "Evolution" on Malapascua gets my vote.
3. Sogod Bay - Malapascua - PG - Moalboal - Subic(?)- sight seeing.
4. By far the best wrecks diving in the country is in Coron so if time is tight I would skip Subic. USS New York is the jewel in the crown in Subic but it has tendency to be off limited pre-covid time.
5. There is twice weekly flight by Cebu Pacific(Tue and Thurs) to Clark(1-2 hrs by bus or shorter by private to Subic Bay). However public bus only goes as far as Olongapo and you need to arrange either trike or jeepney to your resort. And if you decided to stay inside the FREE port then you have to arrange for private transfer because no public transport permitted!!!!
Because of your disbelief regarding Magic Island (which is indeed a place that has refused a refund), I went to their web site. While one cannot make a reservation automatically via their system, one can indeed look for availability. I examined rolling 4-night periods for the duration of my stay, starting after Sogod. 2/13 through 2/16, departing on 2/17, is the ONLY 4-night period that would not work.

I have just contacted Bluewater travel. As things could have changed in the past 6.5 months, I am hopeful that I will not get a runaround. If I can rearrange things, I can have a more rational itinerary, like the ones you have suggested.

Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom