Mask Strap (over/under ears?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimEG

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Everyone. I dive with an Atomic frameless mask that I really like. However I tend to exhale through my nose a bit, so the mask tend to rise up, as well as it leaks often (I typically clear the water inside to my nose every 4-5 minutes). I’ve run the gamut of lightening/strengthening the strap, and repositioning. The best fit seems to be far down in the back, where the strap (uncomfortably) touches the top of my ears.

I’ve tried search, but have been unluckily. Does any know of a mask strap that has two belts that go above and below the ears? Or, possible options?

I prefer not having to start the process of finding a new mask. Local stores don’t seem “enthusiastic” about testing a set of masks (they typically use one brand for rentals).

Happy diving!

You might try wearing a hood. That will allow you to put the strap where you want it without your ears getting in the way.

+1 on the hood. I never dive without one. One reason is that I find the mask uncomfortable on my ears. A hood helps alot I 've found. I have lycra warm water hoods as well as thicker neoprene hoods for colder water.

To follow up on @Divin'Papaw's post. I agree. I find that a hood makes a big difference in my thermal comfort. For that reason alone, I frequently use one.

A neoprene slap strap might also make it more comfortable compared to regular silicone straps. I use a Halcyon one that replaces the mask strap entirely and I like it a lot. You basically set the size and leave it where it's most comfortable. You can also get the other style that slips over the silicone mask straps.

Do check proper fitment as well. You shouldn't need to crank down a mask's straps to prevent it from leaking. In fact, it would be ideal if you can minimally keep it on underwater just with the pressure of the water with no need for straps. Tightening to fix a leak in one area can have the effect of distorting the mask skirt elsewhere, causing leaks.

The problem is fit. The more you consider the strap as a retention mechanism to keep the mask from getting lost, rather than solving a fitment problem, the better.

For fitment, have someone look at the mask for gaps (light shining through) while you're placing it gently on your face, and definitely with a regulator or snorkel in your mouth to account for the change in facial shape underwater which can make masks leak. In a pinch, I just get people to pucker up. This is a mandatory check, in my opinion; don't just do the usual "if you can suck the mask onto your face and not have it fall off" test that is usually all that is done by shop employees. You need to evaluate how well the skirt follows the shape of your face and you can't do that yourself. It pays to have a good shop that will let you try and return masks if you're not happy.

Be prepared to have to get another mask, no matter how attached you are to your current one if it doesn't pass the fit test. It's really quite miserable to have a leaky mask in my opinion.

Some masks have a narrower range of faces they fit, while others seem more adaptable. As an example, my Tusa Ceos mask seems to fit many different faces, even though it's not a big mask. I've had several students prefer to borrow my mask instead of using their rentals.

MC42 is spot on. The mask does not fit. No amount of strap tightening is going to remedy that.

A mask strap on a proper fitting mask should be around the largest part of your head. Strap down low in the back tends to pull the mask down on the face. For some people this results in more water getting in. The strap should, as others have said, only keep the mask in place. Water pressure keeps it on. To check if a mask truly fits I have students wear one in the pool without a strap to show them.

I wear mine across my ears for 2 reasons. One is because I get absolutely no water leaking into my mask when I we're it this way. I only pull the strap tight enough to hold it in place without putting a lot of pressure on my ears. 2nd reason is I generally wear ear plugs due to some previous ear infections and the strap holds them in place. If I'm wearing a hood, it will hold the plugs in place but I still wear the stap across m ears for reason #1.

I have an Atomic frameless and wear the straps over the tops of my ears. I like the strap lower and if above my ears, it's uncomfortable. The mask does fit but I also have a mustache which I will shave a bit more under my nose. One of the reasons I like this mask - mine is higher cut under the nose piece. Other brands have more under the nose.
It took me several masks until I found this one that works for me.
I will also breath out through my nose occasionally and sometimes I will carry a bit of water if I have a slight fogging problem otherwise it's dry.
I don't personally use mask seal but I know those that do.
I can't say if your mask fits or not. If you have tried everything else, maybe a different mask is in order.

Thanks to everyone for solid suggestions. I’ll try diving with a hood on my next trip, and also with an alternative strap. I figure I can get through a leeky dive or two without much issue - this way I can at least try to keep my atomic frameless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom