Please recommend good Fla spots for checkout dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyCracker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Specifically inland or protected water. No boat dives first time out.
My 16 yr old son want to get open water certified!
We live in Virginia so he'll do his classwork here but he wants to do the check out dives somewhere with warm water and better visibility. So we have a good excuse for a family vacation in early Spring!
Even though I'm PADI certified, our only options now for training is SSI. Does that mean he'll have to do his check out dives with an SSI facility? This would narrow down our choices I guess.
In any case, what are some top rated dive spots for a beginner to do check out dives? We'd also be doing some other limited diving in the same place.

Aqui Watersports in Lauderdale by the Sea, FL. The instructors there are fun, patient, and at the end of the day, will make you better divers. I'm pretty sure they are an SSI shop.

When are you planning the diving? Late fall through early spring can be quite unpredictable in SE FL. Not at all sure that the keys are more reliable.

On the cusp
It's usually still blowing pretty good in March and April and the water will still be pretty cold. I'd look to move your trip to late May or June. Water should be warmer, no cold fronts and no hurricanes. Safest bet or buy trip insurance.
Okay then, thank you for the good advice. We're also looking at inland possibilities like Blue Grotto in Northern Fla. What should we keep in mind as we decide between inland and coastal options?

Okay then, thank you for the good advice. We're also looking at inland possibilities like Blue Grotto in Northern Fla. What should we keep in mind as we decide between inland and coastal options?
Springs are ~70F with crystal clear visibility almost guaranteed, ocean has cool critters to look at. For checkout dives you really can't go wrong with the springs though you don't get the experience of being on a boat and in true open water. Finding the right instructor is more important though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom