Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rental cars have been a big issue in the states as well, same reasons.

@Divetech Cayman et al.

Is there a protocol being followed for disinfection of scuba equipment to prevent the spread of Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease?
This question spurred me to research SCTLD to see if there are any recommendations along those lines. I am by no means an expert now, but I did read enough to feel like I have something of a handle on this specific aspect of the topic. Here are a couple of things to consider:
  • Although the cause appears to be bacterial, the specific bacterium is unknown.
  • Amoxicillin applications are very effective in curing diseased corals. (!!!)
  • A recent study found that the spread of the disease is consistent with the flow of ocean currents and their suspended sediments.
I only found one article, a NOAA piece related to Florida, which mentioned diving. It, of course, suggested not touching the coral as a way of stopping the spread. It also suggested cleaning gear and making sure the cleaning solution was not dumped into the ocean. It did not mention any specific kind of cleaning solution.

Since the bacterium is not known, it would also be hard to say how effective it would be simply to let gear dry or be exposed to sunlight between dives. IN any event, neither of those practices were mentioned in any article I read.

Since the bacterium is not known, it would also be hard to say how effective it would be simply to let gear dry or be exposed to sunlight between dives.
Very strange that with bacterial cause they still don't have an identified pathogen.

Even if gear superficially dries and has sunlight exposure between dives, there's apt to be some sea water in the BCD or wing bladder (unless the rig is rinsed and specific attention paid to adding some water to rinse the interior).

@Divetech Cayman et al.

Is there a protocol being followed for disinfection of scuba equipment to prevent the spread of Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease?
Scubadada's post sums it up. There is a post-dive disinfection process the DOE recommends.

At Lighthouse Point, we have a large tub of disinfectant solution, along with laminated directions. Boat divers are strongly encouraged to go to LHP after the dive and follow the disinfecting directions. Most do, but sadly not all.

Hi @boulderjohn and others interested,

This is on the Ocean Frontiers Cayman website in the blogs Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease (SCTLD) - Ocean Frontiers

The Department of Environment disinfection guidelines are linked in the blog SCTLD – Cayman Islands Department of Environment
Very helpful.

I was just diving on Roatan, one week from shore and one week on the Aggressor, my substitute for the Cayman trip that was so oft canceled. While diving there, I saw significant SCTLD, but the only time anyone from either operation mentioned it was in response to a question about it, and the answer was essentially, "Yeah, we've got it."

In the land-based operation, they had different dunk tanks for different equipment, and the only one with disinfectant was emphatically only for wetsuits. On the Aggressor, it was the normal liveaboard situation, with nothing remotely resembling the cleaning of any gear at any time during the week. We were advised to dip wetsuits in the ocean if we had peed in them, but the wetsuit pee-ers used the showers at the back of the boat instead. (I proclaim that I did not pee in my wetsuit on that trip.)

I believe this warrants a thread of its own in a general diving area. EDIT: Someone started just such a thread a few months ago, and pretty much no one participated.

There are only two kinds of divers:

1)Those who urinate in their wetsuits
2)Those liars who say they don't

There are only two kinds of divers:

1)Those who urinate in their wetsuits
2)Those liars who say they don't
Ah, but read carefully....

I wrote "I proclaim that I did not pee in my wetsuit on that trip." The need to pee in your wetsuit can vary from dive to dive. It is not a requirement of all dives.

Scubadada's post sums it up. There is a post-dive disinfection process the DOE recommends.

At Lighthouse Point, we have a large tub of disinfectant solution, along with laminated directions. Boat divers are strongly encouraged to go to LHP after the dive and follow the disinfecting directions. Most do, but sadly not all.
Accordingly to the link I posted previously, (added below as well) you are supposed to disinfect gear “between sites” AND “at the end of the day” - that would seem to make 2 tank boat trips impossible?

SCTLD – Cayman Islands Department of Environment

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom