Hogarthian help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely on the belt portion of the harness.

Sounds like a better option would have been the 5lb pockets if you never plan on needing more than 10. However what you have will work.

I frequently make use of large weight pockets with coldwater and a drysuit.

Should it go on the belt before the buckle? Taking the buckle off is very difficult.

1) I have not thought about anything beyond my next trip. A week of diving will change my perspective dramatically vs never had anything other than a BCD before. I will need more than 10lbs, just not on this trip. In the extremely unlikely event I dive locally before May, I will have time to plan and order more equipment.

2) I have not cut the webbing and don't plan to make final cuts until after my trip. If having 4 feet extra on both sides is a problem even with bungees, I can trim more than half of it without risking being anywhere close to too short.

The backplate and STA are probably 2lbs together.

Should it go on the belt before the buckle?
Yes, the weight pocket should be back against the backplate. The buckle is toward the middle of the left strap, but will then be at the "end" of the left strap once the excess folded back on the body side of the strap and captured with an elastic band. This should be long enough to reach across to the right side, so it is out of the way of the crotch strap. @Nemrod 's picture above shows it well. (Don't forget it is mirrored.)

What thickness wet suit are you wearing in Coz?

For my 3mm full wetsuit in Coz, Aluminum plate, no STA, I use 13#. So I need pockets for 13#. I choose not to wear a weightbelt, but you can do that also.

If you use a 5mm you will need more weight.

If you are not using thermal protection you need less weight.

The 10# pockets if you put them on each side of the belt right against the plate will cover you but may not get you weight distributed properly. If you are foot heavy you need trim pockets on your upper cam bands. They come in 5# and 3# varieties.

There are lots more ways to put weight on you but that will get you started.

The quick release weight pockets are best located on the waist straps fully back and up against the plate. I slip bicycle tube rubber bands on the webbing back there to provide grip when the weight pockets are slid over them. The left and right (standard Hog rig does not put a D-ring on the right because the can light goes there) D-rings should then be in front of the pockets to assist trapping the pockets and to make the D-ring accessible for clipping off your spg on the left and possible a spool/smb on the right.

Some of the waist band arrangement has to do with the girth of the diver. People who are, uh, shall we say bigger around, have more room to add things like perhaps an accessory pocket(s) or other unnecessary doodads. A knife, when carried, typically goes on the left waist strap. The crotch strap either needs a quick release buckle or if fixed the loop needs to be large enough to slip over the buckle. Yes, the crotch strap loop is on the left strap webbing and thus behind the buckle and at center. That means the buckle itself, when fitted and pulled snug needs to be far to the right in use.

In a 3mm suit it is unlikely more than 10 to 14 pounds total weight is needed. I use 10 pounds total and have 2X2 on my cam bands and 2X3 on my quick release pockets. I reverse my cam bands to each other with one pocket lower left and one pocket upper right. Sometimes I put both on the top but my camera acts as part of my trim ballast, about .5 pounds way forward:

Cam band pockets:

Yes, some of the ballast needs to be able to be jettisoned to establish positive buoyancy on the surface and sufficient to allow the diver to swim up. I have been using the XS QR pockets on my waist:

But have come to really like these, red pull tab goes down when mounted:

James

You didn't correctly thread your buckle looking at the picture you posted.

The excess of the buckle should not come out on front, but fold onto itself on the backside of your webbing.

R.1e0cce74f0bbde8953fdeda16f49da9c

buckle_done_large.jpg

I stole these pictures for an old Scubaboard thread, so I'm sorry if I violated someone's hand-privacy...

2) I have not cut the webbing and don't plan to make final cuts until after my trip. If having 4 feet extra on both sides is a problem even with bungees, I can trim more than half of it without risking being anywhere close to too short.

You're definitely gonna want to cut some of that excess harness. Even an extra foot is more than enough on each end.

Regarding the STA

plate-back-jpg.693501

You might want to consider putting the top tank strap through the middle slots. The top slots will likely put the tank way too high on your back, and you'll end up hitting your head on the first stage the whole dive.

By the way there are scuba shops in Coz where you can buy stuff like trim pockets and other accessories on your journey to get properly trimmed and outfitted.

You should carry a DSMB in case you surface away from your guide and boat.

I know, I know, I am a contrarian and my up front apology. But, thanks to the pandemic and now endemic C word, I would not count on very much in Cozumel. The place has been hit hard. And I never saw much variety anyways. Just was there a few weeks back. Great time as always, but if it is important, you better bring it and a spare.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom