First Computer - Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Something to point out is that some basic computers will not retain the nitrox O2% past a dive. So you’d have to reset it for a second dive. Shearwaters don’t have that issue.
And not noticing that is one of the reasons people have their computer lock them out.

And not noticing that is one of the reasons people have their computer lock them out.
I believe Oceanic's approach is to remain in Nitrox mode for 24hrs, but they revert to 21%. This way if you dive your computer you won't violate it or end up bent.

Oceanic computers have an option for the second (or later dive) to either assume 50% or assume same mix as previous dive.

As long as you set the toggle to "50% off" - or something similar sounding, then you shouldn’t get locked out if you forget to set mix. You only need to adjust this setting once after changing the battery. Once that "switch" is in the right position, you can forget about it.

Thank you all so much for the thoughtful feedback. I truly appreciate it.

@rongoodman I've been scouring the forums and reading up on advice for dc's and one point stuck out to me that for recreational divers the sheerwater if great to grow into, if you plan to, but for your average 10 dives a year diver might be overkill. It stuck with me.

Appreciate the recommendations on the Suunto but a Dive Instructor I know gave me this advice "anything but a Sunnto" due to all the legal issues and allegations against the company.

Deep 6 seems like a solid option. Thank you for the rec and the link to the sale!

@rongoodman I've been scouring the forums and reading up on advice for dc's and one point stuck out to me that for recreational divers the sheerwater if great to grow into, if you plan to, but for your average 10 dives a year diver might be overkill. It stuck with me.
That is perhaps true with the other models, but the Peregrine is a straightforward recreational Nitrox dive computer, albeit one with a very nice display and some other well thought out features.

Isn't the Deep 6 computer the one that displays negative numbers while diving and has all kinds of idiosyncratic displays and conventions? I remember reading about one on here that was something I would personally completely avoid, but that opinion was based completely on reading about it - I never have seen one.

I have the Peregrine. Super easy to use and adjust. Screen is super visible I all conditions. The killer app on it, for me, is the induction charging. You never have to open it to replace the battery (flooding has killed a couple of computers). Bluetother connectivity will give you access to all your dive without a $90 cable. I wasn’t as happy with their logging software because it doesn’t allow pictures. It will be more expensive than some of the pucks, but not outrageously so.

Isn't the Deep 6 computer the one that displays negative numbers while diving and has all kinds of idiosyncratic displays and conventions? I remember reading about one on here that was something I would personally completely avoid, but that opinion was based completely on reading about it - I never have seen one.
No. You are misinformed.
It just counts time in deco. As a rec computer users should not be going into deco.
As a rec computer it is great. Easy to use and intuitive (at least to me).
With the new tech software coming out users can grow from recreational to tech. This is something that users would appreciate, especially with a computer at that price point.

No. You are misinformed.
It just counts time in deco. As a rec computer users should not be going into deco.
As a rec computer it is great. Easy to use and intuitive (at least to me).
With the new tech software coming out users can grow from recreational to tech. This is something that users would appreciate, especially with a computer at that price point.

@johndiver999 :

Expanding on this, there are two different firmware updates to existing Deep6 computers, one I would refer to as "techreational", and to me, the solid base ability a PDC should operate at. Glad it is being done!

I am unsure, but thinking that this is going to be the "base" when you buy a Deep6 PDC. I believe I saw that the ones being sold at Deep6 currently will have the first level firmware on them. The update to existing computers is due soon.

The other has full out technical capability, and I believe will be released after the New Year.

A few thoughts about Shearwater. Used ones don't show up that often. When they do, it is for near full price. My old Petrel 1 I have owned for 7(?) years and I could get almost what I paid for it.

I will still recommend a Shearwater. The user interface is well known for user friendly. If there is a question, good chance someone around has experience and can answer it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom