Seems I have a pinched thread on this valve.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3/4" x 14 is in the cart! TY
Just be careful and if in some future case the damage extends over 2-3+ threads then it's best just to toss the valve. I'd have to double check my VIP materials to confirm the number of required threads to pass VIP. That's for the cylinder side but obviously applies to valves as well.

If you feel like spending a little coin the die comes in handy for stuff like this. The tiny fleck of chrome you'll remove isnt structural.

The hex type die will fit in a vice. You can get a die in the 3/4" x 14 size easy breezy.

That is NPT

Valves are NPS.

Good thing its still in my cart :)

Found this at a market, only used it a handful of times on valves

025.JPG

It's beautiful, we made it, before we sold ourselves down the river

For damage that light, a die is way over kill and you may do more damage than good. Even when you get the die, you will likely have to file the damage out before starting the die.......my advise DON"T use the die. Just clamp the valve in a vise and use a small triangular file, about 1/4 on a side or less, to open up the threads. You can find these at most any hardware store. A set of needle files (very small files) would also be fine. It's very easy, just lay the file in the thread just ahead of the damage and gently push it into the damage letting the file follow the existing thread. If you have never done it, get a cheap (larger) bolt, ding the threads and practice on it. The brass will be way easier to cut. Yes you will lose a little chrome but it's not a problem.

Doesn't the very end of the valve extend past the neck and is suspended in "air" when in a tank? I thought a lot of the suggestions were over kill as well.

Just a stray thought, use the small file and you should be able to easily correct this minor damage, the cost of the die is a substantial portion of the cost of a new valve.

Could you just bend the thread back some and use the tank to retrace the threads? Steel is stronger than brass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom