An Actual (Shore) Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@MaxBottomtime . Great findings under that pier, and awesome pictures. Glad you didn't get caught by Redondo PD like Ken said above

We're the sand dollars standing up like that on their own?
I saw some in the Caribbean while diving off shore in Puerto Rico and they where all laying down. I've never seen them standing up like that either, that's interesting. Wonder if it has to do with high/low tide feeding timing?

I was under (no pun intended) the same impression. A couple of my guys got detained by Redondo PD a couple of years ago when emerging from a night dive under the Redondo Pier.

I just noticed the blue sign on the side of the pier .. again, great pictures and glad you could shore dive without incident :thumb:

1638293207120.png

He may be fine, the sign clearly shows no freestyle. I don't see anything with no SCUBA:wink:

I just looked at Merry's topside photos. The signs read Warning Stormdrain under pier and No swimming beyond this point. I never noticed the signs before. I've done cleanups under the pier before. There was no trash yesterday.

I came back to get a better look at the signs.

12-1.315 Prohibitions.
(a) No person shall swim or bathe in any portion of the harbor, except within an area designated for such activity pursuant to the provisions of Section 12-1.312 of this article.

12-1.312 Protected swimming areas.
Within the harbor, waterway, or maritime facility, the Director may establish protected swimming areas, and it shall be unlawful to operate or navigate any vessel within the bounds of any such area, except as may be specifically permitted by other provisions of this chapter. (§ 5, Ord. 2192 c.s., eff. April 6, 1977, as amended by § 1, Ord. 2815 c.s., eff. April 23, 1998)

Attachments

• IMG_20211130_123851.jpg
    IMG_20211130_123851.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20211130_123827.jpg
    IMG_20211130_123827.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 39
12-1.315 Prohibitions.
(a) No person shall swim or bathe in any portion of the harbor, except within an area designated for such activity pursuant to the provisions of Section 12-1.312 of this article.
Not sure if you're trying to argue that scuba is OK, but my guess is that they would interpret "swimming" quite liberally. And as I mentioned earlier this morning, both RPD and HP said it's illegal so even if they're wrong, you're task will be convincing them of that. :oops:

Looking at his photo, there's no proof that he ever passed the sign. Maybe he just swam straight out from where he entered the water and never got past the sign under the pier. That's what i would do🤫.

Looking at his photo, there's no proof that he ever passed the sign. Maybe he just swam straight out from where he entered the water and never got past the sign under the pier. That's what i would do🤫.
@Ghost95 Say it with a smile (not a smirk) and compliment the officer while saying “didn’t see the sign”, and maybe you get away with a warning 🤣

Anyways, @MaxBottomtime , nice dive and nice pictures 👍

I definitely wasn't trying to argue the point. I never knew it was illegal to dive under the pier. There is an organized cleanup each year with divers under the pier, and it is legal to dive under other piers in the State. I would like it if Redondo Beach made their codes a bit clearer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom