Switch Block Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wanting to purchase a switch block to add to my full-face setup. What is the general consensuses on the Omni Swivel vs Apeks Switch Block?

Thanks for you time.

Here we go again...

DiveGearExpress has the definitive word on this (and has for quite some time)
Manifolds and Switch Blocks

"Every time we sell a manifold or switch block, we shudder a little bit. The gas switch block is used in primarily by surface supply divers to switch from surface supply to emergency bailout gas. Manifolds are primarily used in gas distribution systems. But the key here is that there are not different gas mixtures involved. Unfortunately divers sometimes get the idea to match these products up with multiple cylinders and/or or quick disconnects to create some type of elaborate system for rapid switching between different gas mixtures and/or cylinders. Gas switching errors are very often involved in technical diving accidents. Over the years we've learned about several near misses and fatalities that were directly attributable to mistakes with switch blocks that were connected to different gas mixtures. No matter how careful the diver, or how many safeguards, we think using switch blocks with different mixtures is a very bad idea."

Just don't, it's a terrible idea to be using either of them in recreational OC tech diving. If you are a commercial diver or a PSD using these to switch to a bailout gas which is the same as your breathing mixture - then don't ask here. Talk to your DSO about the system your organization uses.

Wanting to purchase a switch block to add to my full-face setup. What is the general consensuses on the Omni Swivel vs Apeks Switch Block?

Thanks for you time.

what @rjack321 said. I do have the omniswivel and I do use it on my FFM, but that's also for commercial diving type work and gas switch protocols are highly controlled when doing that.

What specifically are you doing where you think you need one?

Thanks for the perspective, I am a PSD and I would certainly be using the same blend in both tanks as that is the way that I have been trained. I was going to add this same technique to meg tooth hunting at depth. I like diving with my full face for the better visibility.

I always dive with my pony and have multiple redundancies (octos) from both my primary bottle and my pony. My thought was to add this switch block/manifold so that I did not have to swap out full-face for the regular mask in the event of an emergency, while also retaining the spare mask and octo as an additional option.

I have a couple professional commercial diver buddies that I have spoken with. One said he had no experience with manifolds and the other gave the rundown on how they were intended to be used and it pretty much match your description. He was not quite as vocal with his displeasure with the idea.

The idea was put in my head by another meg tooth hunter/PSD/full face diver over the summer and the reason for the question was opinions on the two different devices but also for opinions on the practice.

I may rethink it.

Thanks

Reactions: OTF
@Jason Hunter if you are a trained PSD with the use of switch blocks and a FFM, then I do not have issues with you using a switch block. I would use the same one that you have on your rigs which are likely Omniswivels and keep your personal setup similar to those that you use when on call and in training.

I'll get @The Chairman to have this moved out of technical diving though as that is what ruffled @rjack321 's feathers as a lot of people try to use these for decompression and it's extremely risky for that.

Here we go again...

DiveGearExpress has the definitive word on this (and has for quite some time)
Manifolds and Switch Blocks

"Every time we sell a manifold or switch block, we shudder a little bit. The gas switch block is used in primarily by surface supply divers to switch from surface supply to emergency bailout gas. Manifolds are primarily used in gas distribution systems. But the key here is that there are not different gas mixtures involved. Unfortunately divers sometimes get the idea to match these products up with multiple cylinders and/or or quick disconnects to create some type of elaborate system for rapid switching between different gas mixtures and/or cylinders. Gas switching errors are very often involved in technical diving accidents. Over the years we've learned about several near misses and fatalities that were directly attributable to mistakes with switch blocks that were connected to different gas mixtures. No matter how careful the diver, or how many safeguards, we think using switch blocks with different mixtures is a very bad idea."

Just don't, it's a terrible idea to be using either of them in recreational OC tech diving. If you are a commercial diver or a PSD using these to switch to a bailout gas which is the same as your breathing mixture - then don't ask here. Talk to your DSO about the system your organization uses.
Had been looking at different distributors but had not looked at DiveGrear's site. I see their warning at the bottom.

Always look over the forums when in doubt and it usually leads in the correct direction.

@Jason Hunter if you are a trained PSD with the use of switch blocks and a FFM, then I do not have issues with you using a switch block. I would use the same one that you have on your rigs which are likely Omniswivels and keep your personal setup similar to those that you use when on call and in training.

I'll get @The Chairman to have this moved out of technical diving though as that is what ruffled @rjack321 's feathers as a lot of people try to use these for decompression and it's extremely risky for that.
Apologies for the incorrect post location. I looked through the possible locations and figured that the "tech boys" would have the most educated opinion on the pros and cons of each device.

I know this is a bit late since the original post, but I'd think twice about buying an Omniswivel switchblock.

The Apeks Switch block had it CE certified with the Gorski Helmet. I think it's one of the few, if not only CE certified switchblocks on the market.

thanks for triggering my memory Deagle, I need to buy a backplate

I know this is a bit late since the original post, but I'd think twice about buying an Omniswivel switchblock.

The Apeks Switch block had it CE certified with the Gorski Helmet. I think it's one of the few, if not only CE certified switchblocks on the market.
Gemini switch block from lungfish is UKCA and CE certified

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom