Coffee on dive trips and liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not hard to hate coffee in the US. Everywhere is sh!te

Roger came back from a hunting trip and stopped at McDonalds along the way for coffee. He said it tasted like water with some drops of coffee concentrate in it - terrible. When it's THAT bad, there's no amount of doctoring with cream and sugar to fix it!

+27 for the AeroPress. I do espresso-based drinks at home on a Silvia but have an AeroPress at work, one in my camping bin, and for some unknown reason yet another that I travel with. Don't get them wet after midnight, they'll multiply!

For beans, I'll pre-grind and just accept the decrease in quality. For longer trips (2 weeks in the Keys right before COVID) I brought a few day's worth ground and then got more from local places (that Cuban place in Key West). I guess you could always vacuum seal multiple bags with a day or three per bag so the grinds hold a little better. Never bothered though.

***Pro tip (esp. for people camping in cold places)- koozies for slim cans (e.g. a lot of canned wines) fit perfectly height and diameter-wise. Just cut the bottom off and you have an insulated sleeve for the AeroPress to keep it from getting cold while you're brewing.***

I'm going to visit my dad in a couple of weeks - only 3 days - can I last without my coffee that long? Sure. Nah, I'll be packing some ground coffee and my aeropress!!!

I’m not a total coffee snob but I do have to have morning coffee - Splenda and non dairy creamer please. I take those latter 2 items with me on trips. BUT, I am an iced tea snob. After morning coffee I switch to unsweetened black iced tea. No lemon just tea. And good iced tea is hard to find on dive trips. I pack my own tea bags and as soon as I get to my destination, I find the closest store for a few gallons of bottled water. Then I set up on a sunny location and make sun tea. I take a thermos of ice and tea on each boat dive.

Last liveaboard I did featured wake up calls at 5am for the briefing. I couldn’t be bothered with brewing anything at that time, so no aeropresses, no cold brews from the previous night for me :p. Basically whatever is available on board, so either nespresso or instant (heck I’m so unpretentious).

No way for me! Way too early! I’m a night owl. I’m pretty much never make a morning dive. Lol

Hey there! Take a look at the wacaco pipamoka! And of course i am a coffee snob is there any other kind?
Anyone else a coffee snob out there? A few years ago, we bought one of those Keurig makers. I hated it so much I stopped drinking coffee. I started drinking a pre-workout drink in the morning which has about the same caffeine as two cups of coffee so I just kept doing that.

Then about two years ago, a friend of mine turned me onto the magic of the French Press. And I'm in love. Back to drinking coffee. To me, the Keurig tastes stale and bitter. I drink coffee black and maybe b/c of that, if it's bitter or old I can really tell the difference.

What does everyone do on trips? Drink whatever is available? I purchased two travel size (16oz) French press coffee bottles. Look just like a travel mug but have the filter and press. I tried it out the other morning and works great. So that will be going into my checked bag, along with some of my favorite coffee that I'll vacuum seal :) I'm a very efficient packer on trips so I'll have plenty of room.

Oh and I also researched a collapsible water kettle in cases where we may stay somewhere without ability to make hot water like a hotel etc. LOL.

Hey there! Take a look at the wacaco pipamoka! And of course i am a coffee snob is there any other kind?
That thing looks pretty darned cool! Expensive, but nifty.

I just saw this!!! My wife is a coffee lover and she came up with a genius solution. We have dive in 17 countries and multiple live aboards.

She found a stainless steel French Press coffee maker that is literally bullet proof. She makes her own coffee from that with any pre-ground coffee we can find in a store when we travel.

According to her...it is WAAAAAAAY more about the brewing process than the coffee itself. After a day on the live aboards, (me being the barista) I have been begged and pleaded with to make extras for fellow coffee lovers.

I hope this helps!!

I just saw this!!! My wife is a coffee lover and she came up with a genius solution. We have dive in 17 countries and multiple live aboards.

She found a stainless steel French Press coffee maker that is literally bullet proof. She makes her own coffee from that with any pre-ground coffee we can find in a store when we travel.

According to her...it is WAAAAAAAY more about the brewing process than the coffee itself. After a day on the live aboards, (me being the barista) I have been begged and pleaded with to make extras for fellow coffee lovers.

I hope this helps!!
Hi, I totally agree that a French Press is wonderful. I do think the best coffee is about the coffee itself and the way it is brewed! I think if you ask @Kimela or some of the other coffee lovers on here, they probably feel it is as much, probably more, about the coffee itself. I do not roast or grind my own coffee, but I do buy from a local source, that is very fresh and I love it.

I have a small stainless steel French Press that makes two cups. If I decide to bring it, I will also bring enough coffee in a twice-sealed bag for the week, although I typically don't drink much coffee on dive trips.

The last Liveaboard we did, I was so sick from motion sickness at the beginning (note to self: NEVER wait until the day of departure on the boat to take meds) that I did not drink coffee for the entire week, and never missed it. I did bring some of my "Ripped" pre workout powder that has caffeine in it, and that was all I really needed for the week.

I have only done one liveaboard on Aggressor and will bring my own going forward. Their coffee is HORRIBLE!
Jennifer, I agree with you about coffee on Aggressor, but I DO LOVE Aggressor liveaboards otherwise!

To be fair, I don't find coffee any good on any of my dive trips. Usually in one of those big carafe things that has been sitting for hours.

Back
Top Bottom