First Computer - Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater has stopped shipping Peregrine and Perdix due to lack of displays. DGX says they’ve might not restart until February.
Holy crap, I had forgotten that. Looks like the new price is $569.95 for Peregrine....wow.

Holy crap, I had forgotten that. Looks like the new price is $569.95 for Peregrine....wow.
Where are you getting that new price? DGX’s website still shows $495, which is the only place I’ve looked.

Where are you getting that new price? DGX’s website still shows $495, which is the only place I’ve looked.
But you can't get it from DGX... you can from Amazon and Ebay right now

There is a reason there are a lot of used Suunto's out there.
Starter computers which do the job well for good value.

People move on when they develop the diving addiction. Buying a cheap Suunto is a great money saving strategy.

Later, when you can justify it, move to a Perdix/Periguine.

Pretty much any Oceanic computer will fit the bill for you. Offering some level of adjustability with out so much that you will get your self into trouble. Options run from liberal DSAT to conservative Pelagic Z both with additional conservatism if you want it.

IIRC,

DSAT air, 56 min at 60 feet

PZ + conservative on EAN32 52 min at 60 feet

All the advice give above is pertinent, I'd just add this consideration : what are your plans for the future ?

Meaning : do you intend to take a deco procedure/extend range/advanced nitrox ?

Then when : never, in the very near future, in the long run ? (circle the required answer)

If your answer is either "never" or "in the long rung" : any nitrox able computer would do nicely, even a 2nd hand one. But be sure you find the interface easy and convenient.

If your answer is "in the very near future" : then go straight to the Shearwater. Why should buy a rec computer now, just to buy something more advanced next year ?

One last word, regarding the interface : Shearwater computers are easy to apprehend and to dive with (even or especially while multi gas diving). I've got a Petrel 1 and a Petrel 2 (hardwired to my CCR), I've tried a Perdrix, but have no experience with the Teric.

I've tried various computes over the years, and I utterly dislike some of them because, to my liking, they are very difficult to use. That's a personnel view, but I fear it'll make all the difference underwater : what's right for me, maybe not right for you (and vice versa).

Try to borrow your buddies computer, or have them show to you how to operate them, it'll help to choose.

I generally use, inexpensive, used oceanic computers for $100 or so. Not sure why people recommend an expensive computer when the primary use is to warn you to come up before hitting deco, bitch if you come up too fast and let you know your current depth. Don’t need a whole lotta other stuff.

Interface on the Geo 2.0 was not to my liking.

Something to point out is that some basic computers will not retain the nitrox O2% past a dive. So you’d have to reset it for a second dive. Shearwaters don’t have that issue.

All the advice give above is pertinent, I'd just add this consideration : what are your plans for the future ?

Meaning : do you intend to take a deco procedure/extend range/advanced nitrox ?

Then when : never, in the very near future, in the long run ? (circle the required answer)

If your answer is either "never" or "in the long rung" : any nitrox able computer would do nicely, even a 2nd hand one. But be sure you find the interface easy and convenient.

If your answer is "in the very near future" : then go straight to the Shearwater. Why should buy a rec computer now, just to buy something more advanced next year ?

One last word, regarding the interface : Shearwater computers are easy to apprehend and to dive with (even or especially while multi gas diving). I've got a Petrel 1 and a Petrel 2 (hardwired to my CCR), I've tried a Perdrix, but have no experience with the Teric.

I've tried various computes over the years, and I utterly dislike some of them because, to my liking, they are very difficult to use. That's a personnel view, but I fear it'll make all the difference underwater : what's right for me, maybe not right for you (and vice versa).

Try to borrow your buddies computer, or have them show to you how to operate them, it'll help to choose.

Agreed with everything above, which is why I suggested the D6... with the newer software it can match the SW dc's, do full trimix, or just be a nice rec computer that has a newer algorithm on it. Doesn't lock you out if you go into deco, user definable gf's...... lots of pluses, not all that expensive. You can't find a dc that can do that even on the used market for $275 can you?

I'm not sure there's another recreational dive computer mentioned in this thread that can scale up like the Excursion will.

****I have no idea what the interface will be like, but you can almost guarantee it won't be a SW:) With that said, mine isn't at all hard to change around. I really like that you can manipulate all the settings from your phone and don't have to scroll through the dc's endless menus. Even SW gets annoying at times trying to change things.

Just my 2 cents, take them for what they're worth @ 1/2 price:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom