First Computer - Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaliDiver14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, apologies I'm SURE this has been asked and I have scanned the forums. I'm looking to buy my first dive computer for use with Nitrox. I know the Sheerwater Peregrin is highly recommended but MIGHT be more than I need. I've done a few trips this year but dive more quarterly than monthly. Been diving for 10 years and no longer like renting a computer, in fact I don't feel safe without one or relying on a rental. I'm hoping to up my diving next year, doing a live aboard in January and would love to get a computer for that trip. Any suggestions? I know the Mares Puck is usually recommended too. I love the look of the Sheerwater Teric... but if the Peregrin is a lot for computer for the recreational diver I don't think I can justify the Teric. Thank you for your time and patience!!

Suunto Zoop is practical and economic.

I haven't used the Peregrine so I can't comment, but the positive feedback from users is encouraging.

Deep 6 Excursion is on sale right now for $275, after which it'll be $350.

It has new firmware coming out soon, but is a great recreational dive computer as it is today.

It is not as fancy as the others, no color display, but I really like mine. It will not play nice with Subsurface for logging, but outside of that I can't think of a downside.

I'm not sure why you think the the Peregrine might be more than you need(what does it do that you don't think you'll use?) but you might have trouble finding one before your trip. The Excursion looks like a good deal and is available now. It runs Buhlmann GF like the Shearwaters and won't lock you out.

Go with a Shearwater, its the best computer and customer service I have ever dealt with.
I do agree with this for myself. I love my Perdix, but if I was trying to get a dc that just worked for recreational dives and didn't want to spend the $ on a Peregrine because I only do ~10 dives a year I think it's a bit overkill. Deep 6 also has great customer service as well.

OP, you'd be really happy with SW, you'd also be almost as happy with D6... you just have to decide what your budget is. $275 vs $495. They both run the same algorithms. Functionality wise (especially after the software update) they'll both do the same things.

If I was going to get a new Peregrine I'd almost be tempted to get a used Perdix for ~ $700, but that's just me.

For a first computer, simple and cheap. Suunto et al for $200 or so. Second hand would be better.

If the shiny shiny attracts then a Periguine

FYI, I am selling my hardly used SUUNTO Cobra (18 dives), which can do Nitrox and has built-in pressure gauge. If you want to upgrade later on, you can still use it as a backup, which was what I did until I got a 3rd dive computer. That’s why I am selling it.

Shearwater has stopped shipping Peregrine and Perdix due to lack of displays. DGX says they’ve might not restart until February.

Back
Top Bottom