Trip Report Dive Report: Sund Rock, PNW, Washington State

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trailboss123

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It has been a bit of time since I've been diving out at my local cold water dive site. I have been getting warm water complacent with 5 warm water dive trips in the last year to Cozumel, Florida and the Bahamas during this pandemic. It was great to be back in home waters and see some of my friends at Sund Rock.

Water temp was 48-49 degrees. Air temp in the 50's, but no wind, no current and a nice high tide.

I crawled back into my Whites dry suit. Had a minor left wrist seal leak, but I can't complain since that wrist seal has survived hundreds of dives over the last 8 years. Still my original silicone wrist seal from Waterproof.

I had some nice Octopus, Anemone and Wolf Eel encounters, but I am most excited about my Goby picture. They are so elusive and hard to photograph:

1638230408474.jpeg

1638230768278.jpeg

1638230817585.jpeg

1638230881764.jpeg

Is there still a GPO living in the wreck at the north end of the site? Saw a pretty good size one there in October.

Great photos! I am looking at making a trip to Sund Rock in early January.

Nice pictures! That goby is quite colorful:wink:
What is the setup that you are taking pictures with?

Good to hear that the water hasn't gotten much colder since I was up there about 2 months the ago. I was thinking about heading up in a couple weeks.

I just love the beauty of the waters up there and prefer it to some of warm water vacations i have had. Too bad when I lived there, I never dove there.

Brings back fond memories, I spent three winters diving near Tacoma in the late 70's. Cold, but always beautiful.

Nice pictures! That goby is quite colorful:wink:
What is the setup that you are taking pictures with?

Good to hear that the water hasn't gotten much colder since I was up there about 2 months the ago. I was thinking about heading up in a couple weeks.

I just love the beauty of the waters up there and prefer it to some of warm water vacations i have had. Too bad when I lived there, I never dove there.
I have recently switched up things and started taking pictures and video with my iPhone 12+ Pro Max inside of a Sea Life Sport Diver housing, together with a Sea Life 3000 lumen video light. I am very happy with the results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom