New Fast-Attack Nuclear Submarines to be Named Arizona and Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was in ROTC we did a ride on a P3 and got to play with some MAD equipment over Lake Erie. It picked up a few of the steel shipwrecks. They didn't allow us to have our camera phones on-board but they allow a bunch of us high schoolers up there witnessing classified procedures...
P-3s were amazing aircraft. I can only think that the P-8 is generations ahead. The sonabuoys I was videoing were generations ahead of what they drop out of planes today.

I did some testing on the SPY-10. They haven’t even deployed the SPY-6. The power requirements are exceptional.

P-3s were amazing aircraft. I can only think that the P-8 is generations ahead. The sonabuoys I was videoing were generations ahead of what they drop out of planes today.

I did some testing on the SPY-10. They haven’t even deployed the SPY-6. The power requirements are exceptional.
I never worked with radar or electromagnetic detection or tracking equipment. Sonar has always been my area of expertise, and I hope to keep expanding my knowledge on it. When I worked at General Dynamics we had some older sonabuoys that we were selling to Canada (passive), and the electronics and computers in them were pretty intricate for 30 year old units.

I never worked with radar or electromagnetic detection or tracking equipment. Sonar has always been my area of expertise, and I hope to keep expanding my knowledge on it. When I worked at General Dynamics we had some older sonabuoys that we were selling to Canada (passive), and the electronics and computers in them were pretty intricate for 30 year old units.
You’d think, knowing sonar and underwater listening devices, “how do they make them better?”

I’ve heard shrimp ******* in 6000 feet of water.

You’d think, knowing sonar and underwater listening devices, “how do they make them better?”

I’ve heard shrimp ******* in 6000 feet of water.
And yet we slam into under water mountains, Japanese fishing boats, whales, cargo ships and the occasional adversarial sub.

And yet we slam into under water mountains, Japanese fishing boats, whales, cargo ships and the occasional adversarial sub.
Well, seamounts don't make noise and unless they're hunting or communicating I imagine whales aren't making much noise either ... and the quieter subs these days, it's supposed to be easier to look for the chunk of ocean that's not making noise. The Brits and the French had two of their SSBNs bump into each other on patrol a few years back without realizing it. Hearing something is one thing; being able to plot a position, course, and speed from just sound is something else. Having mucked about with a couple older sub sims like 688(I): Hunter/Killer and Sub Command I found sorting out contacts on the "waterfall" display to be a real PITA.

Of course, you do have the occasional bits when the crew fouls up. In the case of the Ehime Maru, there was the issue that you had a bunch of Distinguished Visitors (eight CEOs raising funds for the USS Missouri restoration, a sportswriter, and seven spouses) along with COMSUBPAC's chief of staff clogging up the USS Greeneville's control room and the sonar shack while they were doing angles and dangles and preparing for an emergency blow. Because they were running late with the dog-and-pony show the CO skipped several of the clearance steps before ordering the emergency blow; they heard the Ehime Maru but since the Greeneville had not been maintaining a steady course and speed they were unable to accurately estimate her position via passive sonar.

RDT_20211129_013719589045028673045625.png

Looks like she stove in her bow by about 30ft

View attachment 693160
Looks like she stove in her bow by about 30ft
I'm skeptical of trying to interpret a grainy sat photo. For comparison, when USS San Francisco (SSN-711) smashed into a seamount at high speed on January 8, 2005 her crew suffered 98 injuries (including broken bones and spinal injuries) and one death (head injury). The caption on the closeup of the bow in drydock on the NavSource.org archives gives a pretty gripping description of how bad it was for the crew:

"I was the Diving Officer of the Watch when we grounded. If you read the emails from ComSubPac, you will get some of the details, from flank speed to less than 4 knots in less than 4 seconds. We have it recorded on the RLGN's-those cranky bastages actually stayed up and recorded everything. For you guys that don't understand that, take a Winnebego full of people milling around and eating, slam it into a concrete wall at about 40mph, and then try to drive the damn thing home and pick up the pieces of the passengers ...

"... The next thing to cross my mind was why am I pushing myself off of the SCP and where the hell the air rupture in the control room come from? I didn't know it, but I did a greater than 3g spiderman against the panel, punched a palm through the only plexiglass guage on the SCP and had my leg crushed by the DOOW chair that I had just unbuckled from. The DOOW chair was broken loose by the QMOW flying more than 15 feet into it and smashing my leg against a hydraulic valve and the SCP. I don't remember freeing myself from it. If I had been buckled in, I don't think I would be writing this. The COW was slammed against the base of the Ballast Control Panel, and only injured his right arm. He could of destroyed the BCP, he was a big boy. Everybody else in control, with the exception of the helm, was severely thrown to the deck or other items that were in their way, and at least partially dazed ...

"... The entire control room deck was covered in paper from destroyed binders, and blood. It looked like a slaughterhouse, we had to clean it up."

San Francisco
limped into Guam on January 10 and went into drydock on January 27 for the fitting of a temporary bow; she was in drydock into the summer and left for Pearl Harbor on August 17, stopping at Pearl and then arriving at Bremerton for full repairs on August 26.

USS Connecticut, on the other hand, grounded on October 2, 2021 with reports of 11 minor injuries and arrived at Guam on October 8. In the 16 years since San Francisco was patched up there, the drydock at Apra Harbor was taken out of service, so Connecticut was not pulled out of the water. Connecticut put back to sea for Bremerton (possibly by way of Pearl) on or shortly after November 18 - about six weeks after arriving at Guam. All those factors point to her taking much less damage than San Francisco.

It's worth comparing that overhead shot of Connecticut to a closeup of the sub undamaged in port to see how much of the bow is normally below the waterline; the sat image is not different enough to convince me the bow is smashed in - http://navsource.org/archives/08/775/08002228.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom