Thoughts on OTS Spectrum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubNeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I read through an older thread about the mask, and I see a lot of really solid reviews. I'm still in the "new diver" category, and I happened across a Black Friday sale on DiveRightInScuba for it (retail price, but they give you the ABV for free). I have no training in FFM use, but one of my buddies trained nearly to Public Safety diver and he said FFM was something he enjoyed. No jaw fatigue, you can use your nose to try to keep the breathing relaxed, no flooding (unless you goof), no fogging, comms (if you want them, he said he didn't care for the chatter), and more. Think he said he was using the Guardian.

I couldn't fathom using an FFM down below say 50 ft, but maybe for shore diving it might be a luxury. Although, the amount of steps to reach a backup air supply seem too many for an emergency situation (unless I had a pony bottle, which I will be looking into a bit down the road when I start going deeper). It would probably be a comfort pick at shallow depths like the Blue Heron Bridge, and I swap back over to regular reg when I know I'm heading down deeper. But I'm quite interested in the idea of getting my nose back. My air consumption might drop noticeably, I do tend to guzzle air through my mouth. Normally my mouth is always shut and I breathe very shallowly through my nose.

I know it takes some special practice to become acquainted with these types of masks. Perhaps a few shallow pool or shore dives where I practice flooding and swapping to spares; maybe I can ask my buddy to simulate an OOA emergency just cause. My buddy seems familiar with FFMs; I'd love to try to avoid chucking another few hundred out for someone to watch me practice if he was able to walk me through it safely.

Thoughts on a newer diver already looking this route?

FFM to get lower SAC is wrong reason. You guzzling air has nothing to do with breathing through your mouth. You just need more experience with all this being underwater thing.
While I have never dived Spectrum, I have used Guardian. While it does have it's values (comms for underwater work), I don't like how separated from the water you get with FFM. YMMV.

I work with ffms and own a couple personally. I train divers to use ffms regularly. I like the Spectrum fine (have about 100 dives on one) if you need a ffm. I find it easier to teach since you clear like a regular scuba mask by pinching the nose pocket. This is easier and feels more natural for most of my students compared to using a nose block in other ffm models. FFM have several benefits, but reduced air comsupmtion is not one of them. In fact, you will use more air on a ffm, not less. If your only goal is to use less air, a ffm is not the answer you are seeking. If you want to use comms or are diving super cold water, ffms are a help there.

I work with ffms and own a couple personally. I train divers to use ffms regularly. I like the Spectrum fine (have about 100 dives on one) if you need a ffm. I find it easier to teach since you clear like a regular scuba mask by pinching the nose pocket. This is easier and feels more natural for most of my students compared to using a nose block in other ffm models. FFM have several benefits, but reduced air comsupmtion is not one of them. In fact, you will use more air on a ffm, not less. If your only goal is to use less air, a ffm is not the answer you are seeking. If you want to use comms or are diving super cold water, ffms are a help there.
Isn't Spectrum designed as "on demand" system? Unlike Guardian which is positive pressure?

I own the spectrum and like it. My air usage went up a bit. It is comfortable and interesting sensation. Add it n a dry suit and it's almost like you aren't even in the water. I much prefer the.nose piece compared to the nose blocks.
As far as it being difficult in out of air, it's not hard. The only issue is when you lose air you lose your mask so can't see. It's a practice thing. Everything always goes.in the same spot.
Also spectrum will fog if not treated pre dive like any other mask. The higher end one don't fog because of air flowing over/into the lens area. The spectrum the regulator and lenses are almost two separate sections.

Nope, I'm still practicing on using lower air. I'm at the gym many times a week working on aerobic at the moment, and a few benches so I can carry my gear easier :wink:

The number one reason I'm interested is getting my nose back. I find I still "breathe a little panicky" through my mouth; my entire life I've used my nose for breathing. I even used to run miles only using my nose, and I do NOT recommend doing that. Your lungs feel like you lit them on fire 0_0

Isn't Spectrum designed as "on demand" system? Unlike Guardian which is positive pressure?
Yeah you zip-tie your reg into the shell, which holds it in place. Then you use the "seal" to "suck" air in, instead of letting it free-flow. Logically it should be about the same as regular reg use.

It comes in clear or tinted lens... I've never had a problem with clear lens. Is tinted necessary? I don't want to look like an alien lmao.

Both the Guardian and the Spectrum are "on-demand" - neither is a true positive pressure FFM.

Both the Guardian and the Spectrum are "on-demand" - neither is a true positive pressure FFM.
Ah, didn't know Guardian was on demand. I'm not weighing that as a consideration because of the price & the fact that it's a special kind of regulator designed only for it. I've seen people saying not everyone knows how to service it.

Back
Top Bottom