Canister for heat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Thoughts of the Nanight canisters for heat. I like the profile.

I’ve seen a Nanlight can, but I’m not super familiar with them. What I do know, is that after diving for many years with a single output can on my heated vest, that adding a variable output controller is the best thing I’ve done in a long time. I’m using a Light Monkey canister with a Pitkin Controller built into the lid. A controller will allow you to start at a lower temp, and get more heat if you need it. It will also conserve the battery. There isn’t much worse than being on deco and having a vest go from all to nothing. Since I picked up the Pitkin controller, I find I rarely need all the heat.

I’ve seen a Nanlight can, but I’m not super familiar with them. What I do know, is that after diving for many years with a single output can on my heated vest, that adding a variable output controller is the best thing I’ve done in a long time. I’m using a Light Monkey canister with a Pitkin Controller built into the lid. A controller will allow you to start at a lower temp, and get more heat if you need it. It will also conserve the battery. There isn’t much worse than being on deco and having a vest go from all to nothing. Since I picked up the Pitkin controller, I find I rarely need all the heat.
I've been using a Yellow Diving canister and their shirt which has a built in "Pitkin", simply toggling the power it switches between 100%, 50% and off, works well for me.
I want to mount the can to the back weight pocket/harness of a Hollis K2. I've got a LM 2" light can and it fits nicely. The 3" can on the other side is a little uncomfortable, plus it has a backmount cap and the e/o cord is a little short. A new side mount cap is almost as much as the Nanaight battery.

also of note that the canisters with 11.1v ish lithium packs are only capable of putting out about 80% of the heat that the vests are originally designed for which is ~13.6v alternator output. UWLD is the only controller I'm aware of with 13.6v as the "high" output.
The Pitkin controller is also not a constant output controller so the output wanes over the burn on each setting.

also of note that the canisters with 11.1v ish lithium packs are only capable of putting out about 80% of the heat that the vests are originally designed for which is ~13.6v alternator output. UWLD is the only controller I'm aware of with 13.6v as the "high" output.
The Pitkin controller is also not a constant output controller so the output wanes over the burn on each setting.
Taken from the Nanight website. How does this compare to UWLD:

The Power Canister G2 192-S is the next generation of Power canisters from Nanight. The Power Canister offers a regulated output power of 5-20 with 4 available power settings for heat control.

Output voltage: 5-20V

External connector: E/O

Capacity:

192 Wh (2x 96Wh batteries inside, which are allowed for flying) ->

- 17400 mAh at 11V

- 13400 mAh at 14.4V

Max output power: 110W

@in too deep that's a high voltage output so you're ok there as long as you select a 13-14v output for the max output setting.
This obviously would provide more heat compared to the 11.1v can I’m using now.
Probably could start with 50% to the shirt and step up to 100% once voltage drops or at the end of the dive for more warmth. Taking on/off gassing into consideration.

This obviously would provide more heat compared to the 11.1v can I’m using now.
Probably could start with 50% to the shirt and step up to 100% once voltage drops or at the end of the dive for more warmth. Taking on/off gassing into consideration.
What I do not know is whether or not that is a constant output driver. I can tell you that the UWLD is constant output so 100% is ~13.6V from start to end.

What I do not know is whether or not that is a constant output driver. I can tell you that the UWLD is constant output so 100% is ~13.6V from start to end.
Thanks for the point - I’ll confirm with manufacturer
I’ll take a look at UWLD, I know you swear by them based on their quality, performance and reputation

I have seeing stuff rated in Ah or mAh as you really don't know the energy being stored. Have to find the voltage so you can figure the wattage. Watts=heat. Simply rearrange the cells and you can get a high mAh rating at a very low voltage, but the watt-hour will still be the same. The airlines know what energy is and that is why they list limits based on watt-hours and not mAh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom