Question Comparing ScubaPro Mk2 EVO/R195 to Atomic Aquatics Z2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can buy a Mk2 Evo DIN for $156 US [209 AU] here in Australia.
Atomic is expensive here.
Mk2 Evo DIN with a R195 $339 US, and I am sure I could acquire the R195 for less.
For you it's the Atomic price, parts etc .
Can't believe the price of SP where you live.
MSRP for just the Mk2 Evo DIN is 259 USD here in the US. While I am just beginning it did surprise me that the entry level reg for a venerable brand was so much higher than many other brands and so close to the entry level of a brand marketed for performance.

The local dive shop threw out an option I wasn't expecting. A ScubaPro Mk11/S560 for ~$40 more than the AA Z2. Anyone have a strong case for one over the other or is it still a case of not going wrong either way?

The local dive shop threw out an option I wasn't expecting. A ScubaPro Mk11/S560 for ~$40 more than the AA Z2. Anyone have a strong case for one over the other or is it still a case of not going wrong either way?
Can’t really go wrong either way.

If it were my money, I’d go for the Z2. Not really due to performance or anything. I just happen to like the Atomic dive shops in my area better than the ScubaPro shops.

From a quality standpoint, the two are probably a match, though I think SP's QC has dropped a bit.

You can tune both to breathe very similarly, though I think the machines might give a slight edge to the Z2.

But apart from the perennial piston vs diaphragm argument, you have the factor of environmental sealing.

I am adamant about environmental sealing, not for cold water, but for regulator longevity. That's why I won't dive a Mk25. It's just a PITA to take the time to do a thorough flush after every dive, especially on a liveaboard trip with limited fresh water. If you don't, crystallized salt or grit stuck in the piston land will begin to eat away at your chrome.

So if you buy a Z2, I'd pay to seal it. Your shop tech will hate you because it's a PITA to fill with lube. But it's then effortless to care for and delivers huge gas flow. A great reg!

A Mk11 isn't sealed, but the internals are dry, and taking a hose to any diaphragm reg is easy. The only thing you're rinsing is the visible opening for the mainspring.

So for me, the Mk11 is cheaper after you count the expense of sealing the Z2. The Z2 second stage will stay in tune longer than the S560 with its seat-saver feature.

So the two are a match, unless you don't seal the Z2. If you take it as is, IMO the edge goes to the Mk11/S560.

From a quality standpoint, the two are probably a match, though I think SP's QC has dropped a bit.

You can tune both to breathe very similarly, though I think the machines might give a slight edge to the Z2.

But apart from the perennial piston vs diaphragm argument, you have the factor of environmental sealing.

I am adamant about environmental sealing, not for cold water, but for regulator longevity. That's why I won't dive a Mk25. It's just a PITA to take the time to do a thorough flush after every dive, especially on a liveaboard trip with limited fresh water. If you don't, crystallized salt or grit stuck in the piston land will begin to eat away at your chrome.

So if you buy a Z2, I'd pay to seal it. Your shop tech will hate you because it's a PITA to fill with lube. But it's then effortless to care for and delivers huge gas flow. A great reg!

A Mk11 isn't sealed, but the internals are dry, and taking a hose to any diaphragm reg is easy. The only thing you're rinsing is the visible opening for the mainspring.

So for me, the Mk11 is cheaper after you count the expense of sealing the Z2. The Z2 second stage will stay in time longer than the S560 with its seat-saver feature.

So the two are a match, unless you don't seal the Z2. If you take it as is, IMO the edge goes to the Mk11/S560.
What he said. Both are great. I've serviced both and the piston design of the Atomic is simpler. At the end of the day both second stages breathe great. Wouldn't be wrong with either of them... If I had to make the decision, I am not sure which one.... Oh wait, I might still get a Poseidon. haha! I just recently got a couple if used Poseidons and so far, I am a fan boy!

I wouldn't pay a penny more for the MK11/S560 over the AA Z2. The AA Z2 is a "better" regulator in terms of reliability by virtue of design and materials. It also has a much less cost of ownership over a several year period (especially if it is a sealed first stage) due to design that makes it more reliable and will go for longer time between servicing than the SP. I have both types of regulators for my own use and for my dive school and the AA are a more economical choice over a several year period. I can go several years between requiring servicing with AA than with SP, or any other brand. This point alone saves me a great deal of $$ and time with the AA regulators.

Don't get me wrong, the Scubapro regulator is a great regulator in terms of performance and reliability but when the choice is between a SP and AA, with the SP at the same price or more, AA is the way to go for certain.

I would get the Atomic because it has a bottom LP port. The Mk11 does not.

The bottom port gives you the ability to have your 2nd stage that is on the longer hose routed under your arm without having that hose stick out to the side from the 1st stage and then bend down to go under your arm. In other words, the bottom port makes for nice, more streamlined hose routing.

On my single tank regs, I use that bottom port and mount the 1st stage so it's turned just a little bit, so that hose out the bottom points just a bit to the right. With a 22 - 24 inch hose on the 2nd stage that runs over my right shoulder and a 40" hose on the one that goes out the bottom port and under my right arm, it makes for a very clean, neat setup.

Hose routing is definitely a good consideration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom