How Do Use Your Compass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear my two computers and dive watch on my left arm. On my right arm goes my compass. A magnetic compass is not "old schiool" it just is. I do not understand how it would be old? Mine is brand new, well, a couple of years now.

My computers do not have a compass, I can agree that is a nice reference feature for casual diving. But if I need to actually navigate with any precision, such as that might be, please give me a magnetic compass. I use bungee on mine rather than a strap.

My magnetic compass does not need a battery, nor does it need a backlight, nor does it ever need recharging nor do I need to toggle through menus or push buttons to access the feature, it just is what it is like Popeye is who he is. Minimalism.

N

I use the compass in my Eon core. Not as easy to line up as my Suunto SK8 but definitely good enough to get me across a fairly featureless flat bottom to the shore entry/exit point at one of the shore dives I often do.

In my drysuit my comfortable arm position isn't perpendicular, so I just adjust by about 20 degrees rather than streching to get get the perfect technique.

I use an analog compass on my left wrist, rotated so the lubber line points forward when my elbow is at 45 degrees (actually 90+45). I have a digital compass in my G2 dive computer on my right wrist but never got comfortable using it and it disturbs my computer readings.

Anyone have a recommendation for a compass suitable for wrist bungee mount that low profile but doesn't suck? In other words, not huge on the wrist but has good readability and decent tilt performance.

Most of my diving that needs a compass also needs a dpv. I use the SK7 mounted on my Sierra handle.

Shearwater Teric -- very low profile, great readability, fantastic tilt performance. :cheers:

Shearwater Teric -- very low profile, great readability, fantastic tilt performance. :cheers:

I don't need the compass feature often but do use it on new to me dive sites. I use my Perdix and find the compass to be very easy to use and so easy to see especially in low vis and of course night dives. No matter how you hold your Perdix the compass works.

I think my computer compass will meet my needs on like 90% of my dives, maybe all of my dives. I was going to do the underwater nav specialty towards my DM and I assume they will require use of a standard analog compass for the training. Then again, now that I think about it. They will probably provide a loaner compass as part of the class. Then after the class, I can go back to using my computer and not even buy a compass.

I wear it on the left wrist. it took some getting used to to keep it steady for navigation, but after some practice it's great.

I stopped using the suunto bungee mount and reverted to the classical strap. Not because of any drysuit leaking safety issues or wotnot, but just because the Suunto bungee compass boot is a piece of **** and the whole console can sometimes move while moving the bezel, with the old strap + boot not a chance.

Although I do use the compass on my computer ocassionally as well when I forgot or loan out my compass to someone.
It's just as good, if not better, it just seems to drain the battery really really fast.

OMG, the Teric compass is a game changer for situational awareness -- specifically the always-on arrow pointing north that roams around the outside. I've started to think about a 3 o'clock bearing instead of W or 270 deg.
maybe 9 o'clock for West ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom