Want to buy my first air cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A backplate and wing can handle both single tank and doubles. The only difference is you need a separate wing for singles and doubles.

Most people use either steel or aluminum plates. Some doubles divers use aluminum if they would be overweighted with a steel plate.

You’re going to want HP (high pressure) tanks. Unless you’re in FL cave country or have the odd shop elsewhere that doesn’t care, getting LP tanks filled above service pressure is a freaking PITA. I drive an hour each way to get my LP85s filled to 3000 when I’m cave diving (mine) in WI. Service pressure is 2640 on my 85s. But they are so nice to dive.

Get the HP100s. If you ever decide to sell them, they go quickly.

And you don’t want to buy a single 100. You want two, for reasons outlined elsewhere in this thread.

Buy 2
Actually great advice. Not sure where your local dive sites are at. Because that is where you will be bringing the tank to. Tanks travel great by car, not by plane. So local is where you will be using it at. Most of the time people will show up and do a 2-tank dive. Weather it is a boat ride or a local quarry. About the only time owning 1 tank makes sense is if you own a boat and just want to have an anchor recovery rig.
Depends where you dive. At one of our local beaches, a very popular shore diving spot, there is a scuba shop just a few blocks away. A one-tank. person could easily do two dives, if they wanted to, by walking the few blocks and getting a refill. In fact, I've even done this when I brought two tanks and had occasion to do a third dive.

It all really depends on exactly what kind of diving, and where, a person plans to do. It might make sense to buy one tank and see how it works out. Buying the second tank can always happen later, when they decide it's necessary.

I’m considering a Faber 100 cu ft galvanized spray steel cylinder. When buying online are valves included or bought separately? Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.
The responses would probably be better and more focused on your needs if you provide more information about the how, where and when you plan to use your tanks for diving, as well as what other gear you plan to use your tanks with.

The other option available to you is to just buy something because it's on sale and then figure out afterward whether or not it fits your needs. If it doesn't, then you can use that expensive lesson to help you make a more appropriate choice for your next purchase. (To be honest, this option is very popular with scuba divers. I'm sure most of us have chosen this option at one time or another, myself included.)

Can’t decide what to choose high pressure or low pressure steel cylinder? If I wanted to buy two smaller steel cylinders and a BCD that accommodates two cylinders, the smaller cylinders would likely be low pressure?

The other option is buy a single 100 cu ft high pressure cylinder and use my existing BCD that will likely replace anyway?

Are backplate BCD’s easily modified to manage duel steel cylinders and single larger steel cylinders?

What are the differences between backplate material, composite, steel, aluminum?

Keep in mind, a 100cuft high pressure tank and a 100cuft low pressure tank both hold the same amount of air. The volume of air a tank can hold is determined by its internal physical size and its pressure rating. Choosing a HP or LP tank is more a matter of which other gear, e.g. your regulator, that you plan to use it with.

If there is a good reason that you want two smaller cylinders instead of one normal size cylinder, it would help for you to share that reason so people familiar with these options can offer useful advice on the issue.

Keep in mind, a 100cuft high pressure tank and a 100cuft low pressure tank both hold the same amount of air.
I think one crucial detail is this is true "... at their respective rated pressures." At the same pressure, however, the LP tank will have more than the HP. One flip side to this coin is an LP85 and HP100 have very similar air volumes at a given pressure.

I made the plunge and purchased 2 Faber Steel 100 cu ft cylinders. I’m excited not only are the cylinders to be delivered but also a BARE Trilam Pro Dry suit with dive knife holder.

While training I noticed I wasn’t paying attention to my air integrated console computer, out of sight / out of mind. To rectify this, I found a magna-clip with console holder that will do the trick.

And this time next year we will be hearing questions about putting them together into a set of doubles...

Good choice.

And hopefully we’ll be getting questions about being rid of the console! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom