El Moro needs help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't eat them (or much of any seafood) but I'm trying to understand your rational on why hooking (and eating) an octopus is any different than a fish?

If you are lucky enough, you can spend a good amount of time (or an entire tank) just watching and following one octopus doing its thing. They ain't fish. I remember following and watching one as it was heading back to its home in this coral head (diving Coz by the way and it was daytime) and apparently a random eel had tried to take up residency in its coral head or home while it was away. The fight that ensued was the most violent and amazing I'd ever seen. That octopus went on the attack despite that eel's teeth... I mean it got CRAZY and the octopus won with the eel fleeing. Was incredible to see. I could have hung out there and spent the entire tank watching that thing but as one who dives with a group, ya don't leave the group and create stress for everyone else just because ya have a SMB and they'll find ya in a place like Coz.

I feel the same way as ds21
I really enjoy seeing octopi

My last encounter however ended in a very unpleasant way.
I wasn't planning on telling this on SB, but I think it is important that Coz divers know.
I was shore diving from Tikila when I spotted an occupied den
I watched for a few minutes, maybe 5 or so
A pair of divers swam near, an instructor and a young female student that I met earlier on shore
I motioned to them and they swam over to observe
I swam away to let them view and went to shore to end my dive
As I was packing up I saw a swimmer going out from shore
He came from under one of the concrete platforms in front of Palmar, across the street from the OXXO
He swam to the bubbles of the two divers that were watching the octopus
He dove down and hooked it right in front of the divers
He swam to shore with it as fast as he could.
The diver popped to the surface and started yelling at the swimmer and that is when I realized what had happened below
I ran to my car and grabbed my phone(camera) and a piece of personal protective equipment from under the seat, no not a mask, a BFK.
I encountered him as he was getting on his scooter
I called him out and let him know he was a total piece of shite in english, spanish and some words I made up in a fit of anger
I told him I called the police and he wasn't going anywhere
After a few more minutes of me cursing him out, a group of guys that were hanging out with him under the concrete platform heard the commotion and started up towards the street.
I quickly gained my senses and split before they made it up.

The end.

Picture of the punk in case anyone knows him:
-mlCUklPWJLBDTNUFIfNeNxscYZHHVjF6OD_31lyMXLHSmHrr-MkrH57lB0NyHp7WoCC_r9b_8V4siS2Vwi-AHn7jETwkucf4OPQR7uCiJS0rYvxJmpxtQwAXLHZiauILlm_3CJvIm5ZChf6zGnRn5e0_8S1UqhncXE2Q543aGKQ8RqHfQst_ndOrL0KNhaGp4zj_TziZLhZ0Fj1VXrGi9r5ydub6W37okf3ibbeNISzfmj7Wa5j-msTLTbZCLEbwvoz1ja5ADPSMfknJUc_Fldw9glcdEW3WcV-Eq4UlIoOpUjjKL0Q1PBZYgtKaw-ThTIGV80svD4Vq6ha-GayHvrr78hNnAr-L3TlvJw7ClXf-UMyotKQUCwPE-jNg4vJ7E08J4n84-Lmr0Q_7Ljc-kNcwOjRwKAox-qJNi4WZ2jR8HmKwUhsErdQazSkPuA-TjJlBeUe9tSeve96kBjpFnLPc_lBEg3mjK_hQc2QCUbuhWlU2rxAVqUNA-Bk9NIpMV5cpaQCMULbveWVkmxOywac7PRIMx7qHJoc7P-8PyoLhMYX7u9qzwyZiECZ8z3p6wSBmGcGBUJ4gIQmBVDK1hj7cxd582lf5hMFlmQA8QqzVJqZ-aexR1E1Z9GqsauETejfPSZWjSg1HH2tM2UYHxeLDPNaPmz2O7Ups6pi12EvnFiJ30BfidJSzAQKDx0ghSVoUuxjQhFSNYcwiKtV60Yi=w556-h742-no

Ah, yes. Typing before coffee will do that. :D

But speaking of pulpo, a dish that used to be available at several restaurants on Cozumel was pulpo in su tinta - octopus in its ink. I really liked it but no one offers it any more.
El Chino Marinaro has it daily. Oh, by "daily" I also mean "in the daytime" ... they close about 4pm.

I watched My Octopus Teacher and could not stop thinking how much I would have liked to eat him (the octopus, not the narrator). They are fun to watch, apparently very intelligent (again the octopus, not the South African).

I feel the same way as ds21
I really enjoy seeing octopi

My last encounter however ended in a very unpleasant way.
I wasn't planning on telling this on SB, but I think it is important that Coz divers know.
I was shore diving from Tikila when I spotted an occupied den
I watched for a few minutes, maybe 5 or so
A pair of divers swam near, an instructor and a young female student that I met earlier on shore
I motioned to them and they swam over to observe
I swam away to let them view and went to shore to end my dive
As I was packing up I saw a swimmer going out from shore
He came from under one of the concrete platforms in front of Palmar, across the street from the OXXO
He swam to the bubbles of the two divers that were watching the octopus
He dove down and hooked it right in front of the divers
He swam to shore with it as fast as he could.
The diver popped to the surface and started yelling at the swimmer and that is when I realized what had happened below
I ran to my car and grabbed my phone(camera) and a piece of personal protective equipment from under the seat, no not a mask, a BFK.
I encountered him as he was getting on his scooter
I called him out and let him know he was a total piece of shite in english, spanish and some words I made up in a fit of anger
I told him I called the police and he wasn't going anywhere
After a few more minutes of me cursing him out, a group of guys that were hanging out with him under the concrete platform heard the commotion and started up towards the street.
I quickly gained my senses and split before they made it up.

The end.

Picture of the punk in case anyone knows him:
-mlCUklPWJLBDTNUFIfNeNxscYZHHVjF6OD_31lyMXLHSmHrr-MkrH57lB0NyHp7WoCC_r9b_8V4siS2Vwi-AHn7jETwkucf4OPQR7uCiJS0rYvxJmpxtQwAXLHZiauILlm_3CJvIm5ZChf6zGnRn5e0_8S1UqhncXE2Q543aGKQ8RqHfQst_ndOrL0KNhaGp4zj_TziZLhZ0Fj1VXrGi9r5ydub6W37okf3ibbeNISzfmj7Wa5j-msTLTbZCLEbwvoz1ja5ADPSMfknJUc_Fldw9glcdEW3WcV-Eq4UlIoOpUjjKL0Q1PBZYgtKaw-ThTIGV80svD4Vq6ha-GayHvrr78hNnAr-L3TlvJw7ClXf-UMyotKQUCwPE-jNg4vJ7E08J4n84-Lmr0Q_7Ljc-kNcwOjRwKAox-qJNi4WZ2jR8HmKwUhsErdQazSkPuA-TjJlBeUe9tSeve96kBjpFnLPc_lBEg3mjK_hQc2QCUbuhWlU2rxAVqUNA-Bk9NIpMV5cpaQCMULbveWVkmxOywac7PRIMx7qHJoc7P-8PyoLhMYX7u9qzwyZiECZ8z3p6wSBmGcGBUJ4gIQmBVDK1hj7cxd582lf5hMFlmQA8QqzVJqZ-aexR1E1Z9GqsauETejfPSZWjSg1HH2tM2UYHxeLDPNaPmz2O7Ups6pi12EvnFiJ30BfidJSzAQKDx0ghSVoUuxjQhFSNYcwiKtV60Yi=w556-h742-no

FYI. I don’t believe Tikila is in the marine park , so shooting octopus is probably legal unless there is a season or something. I love watching the occasional octopus while snorkeling up north. —however sometimes in the morning a local kid with a spear would come by and kill 4-5 while snorkeling. It is a waste of resources as you mentioned. Each octopus at shoreline is probably worth a hundred dollars or more in tourism dollars , probably sells for a couple of dollars as ceviche .

The small octos at Rolandis are so tasty. I do feel kinda of bad about it.....but....

Makes me think what all these migratory birds must taste like. I got 5 bird feeders out and I bet one of those rare Blue Bunting breasts would taste great skewered with a tooth pick and lightly grilled on my miniature Hibachi served with a side thimble of sweet chili dipping sauce. Let me load my pellet gun and see if I can take one out with a head shot. I mean, something so beautiful must taste great! :wink:
Annotation 2021-11-24 190242.jpg

You know what goes good with sweet chili sauce...octopus and squid.:wink::wink:

People are talking about enoying suckling baby pigs for dinner and then people are bothered by others eating octopus. Interesting times.

While like watching them in the water, I also like seeing them on my plate.

and I bet one of those rare Blue Bunting breasts would taste great ...
oh, I am thinking you might need at least 7. And I am thinking Blue Bunting tacos with some good mole. Be like mole chicken only better.....

And you have it right. That is REAL farm to table there. err... Feeder to table. But I have to say, I have an issue with you hunting them over bait.

a-christmas-story-bb-gun.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom