Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The link below has details from the Clearly Cayman Resorts about their reopening schedule and it includes Covid info for travelers.

They state that they will offer rapid tests at their resorts for the convenience of travelers. They don't say how much it will cost per test, but the Reef Divers East Bay Resort in the T&Cs offers a rapid test to visitors free-of-charge for their trip home.

The schedule says that Cobalt Coast will be the last resort to reopen in February. I remember hearing that CC had been designated as a "quarantine hotels" on Grand Cayman.

A few months ago Reef Divers sent boats, staff, and materials over to South Caicos to supply the new resort so they must be scrambling right now to get their Cayman properties ready to re-open.

The link below has details from the Clearly Cayman Resorts about their reopening schedule and it includes Covid info for travelers.

They state that they will offer rapid tests at their resorts for the convenience of travelers. They don't say how much it will cost per test, but the Reef Divers East Bay Resort in the T&Cs offers a rapid test to visitors free-of-charge for their trip home.

The schedule says that Cobalt Coast will be the last resort to reopen in February. I remember hearing that CC had been designated as as "quarantine hotels" on Grand Cayman.

A few months ago Reef Divers sent boats, staff, and supplies over to South Caicos to supply the new resort so they must be scrambling right now to get their Cayman properties ready to re-open.

Thanks Kathy,

I assume the day 2, 5, and 10 tests are still at visitor expense, as they did not otherwise state. It does sound quite convenient though, better than having to go to one of the clinics.

Thanks Kathy,

I assume the day 2, 5, and 10 tests are still at visitor expense, as they did not otherwise state. It does sound quite convenient though, better than having to go to one of the clinics.

I think you are correct, the East Bay Resort site clearly states that the rapid covid test is free, but you only need to have 1 test to return to the US from the T&Cs, see below.

I agree that offering testing at the resorts is very convenient, especially on tiny remote islands like LC and CB. I don't think that Clearly Cayman would try to make a big profit on these tests by charging a high price because that might drive visitors away, they probably just need to cover their costs.

"For your convenience, East Bay Resort provides, FREE onsite rapid antigen testing for our guests. The tests will be administered by trained staff in a safe, sanitized environment. The process is as follows:

• Testing is only available for registered guests of East Bay Resort.
  • Reservation for testing will be made upon arrival and must be made 72-24 hours prior to departure.
  • Rapid antigen testing will be included for all guest over the age of 2.
  • Results within 30 to 45 minutes.
  • Testing will be done on property by trained staff."

Did you have to complete your paperwork prior to making the flight booking? I am just wondering how the process really works. Thanks
Honestly, we’re still trying to figure out the process as well. We booked our flights before submitting anything to Travel Cayman other than creating an account. It seems that we still have to apply for permission to enter the country as in prior phases, and in addition will need to upload our vaccination proof (not expected to be an issue as we received both jabs in Cayman while “stranded” there for 18 months after the border closing). Part of the application process requires selecting your flight from a pull-down menu, but they don’t list flights until about a month before departure, so we haven’t completed the application yet. And of course we will need to test negative for Covid 72 hours before travel. And then there’s the batch of docs we have to submit every year to get an import permit for our dog. Fortunately dogs are also exempt from quarantine if their owners are vaxed.

We got our travel declarations approved and emailed to us within seconds after uploading our vaccine certificates with QR codes.

If you are in the group that has to quarantine, there is a different (and I assume more detailed) set of information you need to submit to get certified to enter the country - at least the preparations made to quarantine. Also they ask if anyone in your party is a visitor, and I again assume if yes, there is more info you need to provide (as property owners we were not considered visitors, so not sure what else they ask).

I heard that many dive resorts still don’t have sufficient staff and are only opening on a very limited basis.

One correction on flights. JetBlue is not offering a direct flight from Boston. You have to connect through JFK via a 5:30 am shuttle from Boston Logan airport. We’re booked for early January.

Did not know that, it was represented to us as direct. We had a customer just take it, so I'll confirm with him.

Did you have to complete your paperwork prior to making the flight booking? I am just wondering how the process really works. Thanks

No you can book your flight, you just need to apply and get permission from Travel Cayman before boarding the flight.

This article says about $30.00/test. I’ve. ot seen any info on appointments v. come-and-get-in-line.

Yes, it's $25 CI per test.

How about the dive equipment disinfection processes cited here to address the SCTLD spread? Are these procedures actually in effect/mandatory and required? It could make multiple dives in one day or multi tank boat trips pretty difficult to actually do?

SCTLD – Cayman Islands Department of Environment

There's some basic rules in place. Distancing, no mask buckets, no spitting in masks, fact coverings, and DEH has some rules which govern rental equipment.

I heard that many dive resorts still don’t have sufficient staff and are only opening on a very limited basis.

Kind of a grey area as there aren't many dive resorts per se, just mostly small operators. Many dive staff remained on island. While some went into other industries, most just hunkered down and lived off the meager resident business, and their pensions which we were allowed to withdraw.

Ocean Frontiers is back up and running. Sunset House is being a bit gun shy, and is waiting until January to make sure Government isn't going to reverse course. I can't blame them. Reef Divers is closed because as noted, 4 of their boats and much of their staff went to T&C. Cobalt is or was a quarantine facility.

Most other dive ops have enough staff to run pretty close to normal. Some hotels on the other hand are in trouble, as they do not have enough support staff. And good luck trying to rent a car now. Availability is so low as the car places sold off much of their old stock over the lockdown without replacing it.

One correction on flights. JetBlue is not offering a direct flight from Boston. You have to connect through JFK via a 5:30 am shuttle from Boston Logan airport. We’re booked for early January.
It is non-stop BOS-GCM in December....but not after January 1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom