Got a fill that smells of plastic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you saying that even if I dilute it two times by draining twice it could be dangerous to use? I guess since we don’t know exactly what’s inside we cannot know.

A quick Google should do the trick.

You stated it is a stage bottle. Was it by any chance filled by partial pressure. It is possible to have a burnt seat if the O2 is turned on full blast which would provide a burnt smell and some toxic gases.

They don’t bank in the UK, it was an air fill too.

But yes I already contacted them and gave them the date at which I collected my cylinder just in case.

Also my fill was done before the 2nd of October so it’s unlikely to have been a widespread issue causing accidents since it was quite a long time ago.
Hi @BlueTrin,

There are banks at some U.K. fill stations, it’s down to how many cylinders they do a day.

A cylinder analysis is going to cost you up-to £200. You could ask Trading Standards to do it for you.

The cheapest is to put the cylinder in for a full hydro test, but then you won’t know what was in the cylinder.

I missed that it was an air fill so my other post is not applicable. When I purchased my compressor I was getting a slight odour but only from the original whip and not the new whip I had set up to fill two tanks at once. It turned out the odour was coming from the older whip itself.

Anecdote time!

I've had a few smelly tanks. First time two AL80s I bought used, they had been sitting full of air(?) for 10+ years. The air tasted funny, a sort of "waxy" "plastic-y" taste and smell. Not like any oil or exhaust I've smelled. I dived both tanks anyway, because I am a dumbass. The taste stuck in the back of my throat for hours after diving which was especially disconcerting. Not sure if the smell was due to age or bad fills.

The second time was a deco bottle of 50%, when I got on it at switch depth I immediately smelled and tasted something similar, though not as strong. I'm not sure if that one was a fill issue or because I was using a new cheap 1st stage which may have had bad grease in it.

No noticeable negative effects from either event, but I should buy a CO tester.

There's probably a lot of reasons for the plastic smell. Most would be benign but not all. No one on the internet can diagnose what the cause is. The only way to possibly find out is to confront the shop that filled it.

2 options;
1.) Use a different shop forever
2.) Confront the fill shop and see what they say. If it's a good shop they'll make it right. If they don't, revert to option 1.

I have had an "oily" smell in a tank from a shop. Word spread quickly that there was something wrong with their compressor. I confronted them after hearing others say the same. They denied anything was wrong or anything was ever wrong.....and I've never gotten another fill there.

Scary stuff, glad you caught it before diving.

I'd be tempted to have it analyzed. Outside of that, I'd at least get it cleaned.

I've always thought nitrox tasted sweet, regardless of where I got my fill or what reg/tank I was using. Useless info I guess.

I've always thought nitrox tasted sweet, regardless of where I got my fill or what reg/tank I was using. Useless info I guess.

...and just how long have you been exposed to that FL sun?:oops::wink:

(No disrespect, I can't tell a difference)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom