GoPro 9?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't even understand my question, moron.

While theoretically you're right that if you bring your own light and shine it on a subject you should not need a filter, with my Hero 4 I got best results with both a video light (on a pole) and a filter. This is because the light can only illuminate a small portion of the image in most cases. Also I think the Backscatter Dive filter only partially corrects the colors. So the two: imperfect video lighting and imperfect filter work well together. Sometimes my scene would appear too red when I got close to the reef with the video light but most of the time it's fine or blue if at distance.

With the Hero 9 I'll first try a dive with just the video light and see what happens.
So I tried the 9 with the filter and video light and the images were too red even with White Balance on Auto.
So for my next try I plan the following:
no filter, video light, 4K 60, wide, white balance 5500K, Color flat, Sharpness medium. I've set these into a Water preset. My Air preset will be the same except White Balance Auto. Will see how that works out.

So I tried the 9 with the filter and video light and the images were too red even with White Balance on Auto.
So for my next try I plan the following:
no filter, video light, 4K 60, wide, white balance 5500K, Color flat, Sharpness medium. I've set these into a Water preset. My Air preset will be the same except White Balance Auto. Will see how that works out.
How did these settings work out for you? I’m still trying to figure out the best underwater settings for my GP9 (using a camera tray, no red filter and two 3500 lights).

How did these settings work out for you? I’m still trying to figure out the best underwater settings for my GP9 (using a camera tray, no red filter and two 3500 lights).
The settings are debatable. What I'm using now is the following, with a video light.

No red filter, 4K 60 fps, wide, Hypersmooth Boost, high bit rate, GoPro color, ISO 100 to 800, sharpness medium, exposure correction -0.5. I correct the white balance in software (I'm using PowerDirector but I'm sure they all allow it). So I take a video of something white like a slate or white fin and tell the software that the object is white (Red, Blue, Green equal). The software has a pencil that you point to the white object to correct the colors. The software allows you to set that as a color correction preset which you then apply to any underwater clip you want.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom