Recommendations for the GBR in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which itinerary did you do? We might be in Sydney later this year and were contemplating add-on dive options. One idea was to take another crack at the GBR on SOF or Mike Ball (we did a ribbon reefs/cod hole trip on a different boat some years ago that was just ok overall.) But I’m concerned it might not be worth the bother.

If you're going up to Cairns from Sydney, definitely budget for it. I was surprised at how expensive direct flights can be, even in the shoulder seasons. Accommodation is pretty good value though, Port Douglas has some really comfortable, quality accommodation for great prices :) Enjoy!

How is the Yongala now? I last went 30 years ago and it was great then. And how is the GBR around Townsville holding up against the bleaching?

The Yongala is still one of the best wreck dives around and teeming with life. Not much has changed over the years either as its not affected by bleaching.

Never thought much of the reef out of Townsville though, and not many options out of there either. Adrenalin do a few trips to Wheeler Reef and thats not too bad, but Magnetic Island is very disapointing and very poor viz

Reactions: CWK
Yongala is still great. The reef to the east of Yongala is also fantastic. Probably too far south to be affected by the bleaching.

Reactions: CWK
The Yongala is still one of the best wreck dives around and teeming with life. Not much has changed over the years either as its not affected by bleaching.

Never thought much of the reef out of Townsville though, and not many options out of there either. Adrenalin do a few trips to Wheeler Reef and thats not too bad, but Magnetic Island is very disapointing and very poor viz
I'm doing a refresher course in December on Maggie Island (last dive HMAS Brisbane February 2019). I hope to book a day trip to Yongala. May I ask for operator suggestions please? Thanks.
Greg

I'm doing a refresher course in December on Maggie Island (last dive HMAS Brisbane February 2019). I hope to book a day trip to Yongala. May I ask for operator suggestions please? Thanks.
Greg
Best way is to go from Ayr, but if you are on Magnetic Island, not sure.

Greg

Best out of Ayr for sure Wednesday to Sunday departures at the moment.

see here for info

Adrenaline Dive out of Townsville do twice a week departures and pick up at Maggie Island. 3hrs travel there compared to 40mins out of Ayr and they are notorious for cancelling due to low numbers. However if you are restricted to Magnetic Island then this is your only option

Diving the Yongala on your schedule can be tricky. My 2019 trip was incredible but we had to be very flexible. The original plan was to dive the Yongala out of Ayr at the beginning of the trip but the seas didn't cooperate. After landing in Cairns and meeting up with my daughters we spent the first days at Magnetic Island - fantastic hiking, beach picnics/swimming, saw lots of koalas kicking back in the trees next to the trails. Next, we drove down to Ayr. Arriving at Yongala Divers, we learned that the seas had kicked up and the boat wasn't going to be able to go out. And the following day was sketchy as well. Well, it was pretty crazy but we ended up changing our return flights and tacked a couple of extra days onto the end of the trip. Then we drove back up to Cairns, did the Spoilsport trip and came back down a week later. It was one of the best things I ever did. The extra days in Cairn were a blast. Here's a pic of the day we went rock sliding:
Kids on vines.jpg

When we finally got back to Ayr, the seas had quieted down and we had two days of great diving. We still definitely needed the Dramamine for the boat ride out and the viz was only about 35' but the dive itself was fantastic. So many of everything, and the fish, rays, sharks and snakes were huge! Definitely one of the best wreck dives I've been privileged to make.

So, I wish you luck on your day trip out of Townsend. But don't fret if it doesn't work out perfectly and give it another try if the seas mess you up. The Yongala is really worth it, at least it was to me!

Just asking out of curiosity more than anything but wondered if anyone has dived around the Palm Islands out of Townsville? Pretty much zero tourism there and other than the Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander settlement no real development, and a bit further offshore than Magnetic Island so just curious as to what the marine environment would be like, and if anyone has worked to conserve the reefs there? I recall reading somewhere that the Americans had a flying boat base on Great Palm during WW2, and lost a few Catalinas in the surrounding waters as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom