Question ScubaBoard's first thread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Akimbo

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was exploring our updated search function and wondered what ScubaBoard's first thread was. The two oldest threads I could find were dated Jun 14, 2000:

I would have expected some kind of Welcome thread as the first post, and maybe it was. I suspect it is lost in digital history. The only name besides @The Chairman (NetDoc then) that I recognized while tromping through the old threads is our illustrious colleague, @herman.

I started looking for Pete's oldest post and it turned up on Mar 20, 2001:

Note the Reply from @Warhammer, I'm guessing of the famous Warhammer Maneuver fame.

So, the question is, what was the first thread and what was ScubaBoard like?

Solution
Who actually started SB, the first one with the idea and made it happen? Was it NetDoc?
@Ted S is user #1 and his join date was 200/07/13. King_Neptune, the original owner, is user #5. I am user #879 and my join date was 2001/1/20.
The first 100 users were sock puppets and they carried on discussions just to make the Board look viable. We lost a lot of data in early 2002, due to a server not being paid, again in 2008 (7?) due to an attempted hijack. All of my early comments, before the one cited were "purged" during the attempted hijack and never recovered. One of my first comments was about the Warhammer Maneuver, named after Greg, aka Warhammer shortly after I joined. King_Neptune thought it was funny and promoted me to...
That explains how you got such a great username. I joined in 2009 and all the cool names were already gone.
Not true :wink:, when I first joined years ago I had a boring name [don't ask], after a break from this site for years the cool username "Pressurehead" had not been used on my return, which was a surprise .

Not true :wink:, when I first joined years ago I had a boring name [don't ask], after a break from this site for years the cool username "Pressurehead" had not been used on my return, which was a surprise .

I think the first name I tried was @Saturation. The second was @Sat Diver. I probably tried @HeO2 next. I even thought about @Aquanaut. :(

As I recall, Ted was most likely 3rd, he was the tech admin. King Neptune (originator of the board I think) and Lady Diver were the first 2. Walter, Ignana Don and Warhammer were few of the early ones. I remember welcoming every new member back in the early days, there were so few of us, we could do that sort of thing.
I don't recall how I found the board but think it was a google search.
The reason I have the gray mouse avatar is because in those days you had to pick from a small selection that was built into the software of the board. There was a mouse cartoon back in the 50's who's name was Herman so I chose the mouse, I keep it to this day since it was my first one and to my knowledge the only remaining one from the early days

And I still miss the macaws. Lets see who remembers them

@diver1 . Remember that one?

Ted was most likely 3rd, he was the tech admin.

That is probably why he is listed as "USER=1". The person configuring the software required a user for setup and testing. It is typical that the first account in many operating systems has to be the administrator.
I guess I would know if I looked a little deeper (at the BB-code):
[USER=1]@Ted S[/USER]

The reason I have the gray mouse avatar is because in those days you had to pick from a small selection that was built into the software of the board. There was a mouse cartoon back in the 50's who's name was Herman so I chose the mouse, I keep it to this day since it was my first one and to my knowledge the only remaining one from the early days

I wondered about why your Avatar. It makes sense that you don't change it. I think I recognize more users by their Avatar than their username.

Your user number is 57, but that is the entry in the database, not the 57th real person to register. They probably registered a bunch of bogus accounts for testing before going live.

[USER=57]@herman[/USER]

Just curious @Akimbo can you tell what's the # for the latest user?
Is this something one can look up for themselves?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom