Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yesterday I did 34 solo dives in 4 hours :yeahbaby:

Location: Finland, Europe. Inner archipelago. Shallow and murky.

It was a search and recovery mission (logged as one dive) where I had to locate some (13) stakes in abysmal visibility using circular search, then mark them with a buoy, then bring a recovery rope to the bottom so that the stakes could be pulled up by our boat. I had to deal with the buoy anchoring line, a circular search, the recovery rope, my divelight, fishing nets - and then I decided to bring an action cam on one of my immersions. Sidemounted steel cylinders were used and replaced in water.

I also found a discarded fyke net on the bottom (or on my dive light...) and discovered that while the net itself is not strong its anchoring lines eat away a line cutters blade. A proper knife with a serrated edge was required. No big drama (except that I have no linecutter anymore). We just wanted to clean the net away.

Having a diving buddy, and a buddy line - a third line to manage, would have been an absolute nightmare.
Instead I had plenty of cutting devices and an SMB to signal any emergency.

Video [shaky]:
Helmet mounted cam next time!

It was a search and recovery mission (logged as one dive) where I had to locate some (13) stakes in abysmal visibility using circular search, then mark them with a buoy, then bring a recovery rope to the bottom so that the stakes could be pulled up by our boat. I had to deal with the buoy anchoring line, a circular search, the recovery rope, my divelight, fishing nets - and then I decided to bring an action cam on one of my immersions. Sidemounted steel cylinders were used and replaced in water.

I also found a discarded fyke net on the bottom (or on my dive light...) and discovered that while the net itself is not strong its anchoring lines eat away a line cutters blade. A proper knife with a serrated edge was required. No big drama (except that I have no linecutter anymore). We just wanted to clean the net away.

This sounds like so much fun!

Having a diving buddy, and a buddy line - a third line to manage, would have been an absolute nightmare.
Instead I had plenty of cutting devices and an SMB to signal any emergency.

Video [shaky]:
Helmet mounted cam next time!

This sounds almost as much fun as diving in the Long Island sound on a rainy and dark day.

Double dipped the Spiegel Grove today solo. Tomorrow starts my MSDT prep course and I just wanted a couple nice, relaxing, enjoyable dives. Seas were a bit high to start the day (4-6' swells), but they calmed down over the course of the morning. I considered heading back out again this afternoon, but I had "responsible" stuff to do so I didn't.

Nov 26th, once again I hit the wall dive that is Willis Point Dive Site in the Saanich Inlet, Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada. We had some major rains and flooding in the last 7 days. The Saanich Inlet had turned into brown soup from all the runoff. Todays dive was to see if the vis improved. Sunny skies and a flat surface greeted me, at the dive site.
I was happy to find the brown soup was now a hazy green. Descending, at 39', I was able to look up and see the surface shimmer, while horizontal vis was closer to 15'. Deeper I went the vis got better, and at 95', vis was closer to 25'-30' in a light green haze. I was very disappointed to find the 4' long glass boot sponge at depth, had a tear near it's opening. This was not there last year. Somebody has touched the sponge and caused the tear.
I decided on this dive to compare my two computers, and how my NDL is treated. My primary computer is a Shearwater Peregrine, and my back up a Zoop. I played with a zero - 1 min NDL, ascending as needed to keep it in NDL. When my Peregrine was a 0 min NDL, the Zoop was showing 3 min NDL. I let myself go into Deco with my Peregrine, while staying out of deco on my Zoop. Time to change the conservatism setting on the Peregrine I think.
My deepest was 109', avg depth was 61', for a 37 min dive. Entered the water with 3550 psi in a Faber HP 100. Exited with 750 psi after I did a 5 min safety stop, although my Zoop only wanted me to do a 3 min SS. My pony is a 30cu Catalina.

Nov 26th, once again I hit the wall dive that is Willis Point Dive Site in the Saanich Inlet, Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada. We had some major rains and flooding in the last 7 days. The Saanich Inlet had turned into brown soup from all the runoff. Todays dive was to see if the vis improved. Sunny skies and a flat surface greeted me, at the dive site.
I was happy to find the brown soup was now a hazy green. Descending, at 39', I was able to look up and see the surface shimmer, while horizontal vis was closer to 15'. Deeper I went the vis got better, and at 95', vis was closer to 25'-30' in a light green haze. I was very disappointed to find the 4' long glass boot sponge at depth, had a tear near it's opening. This was not there last year. Somebody has touched the sponge and caused the tear.
I decided on this dive to compare my two computers, and how my NDL is treated. My primary computer is a Shearwater Peregrine, and my back up a Zoop. I played with a zero - 1 min NDL, ascending as needed to keep it in NDL. When my Peregrine was a 0 min NDL, the Zoop was showing 3 min NDL. I let myself go into Deco with my Peregrine, while staying out of deco on my Zoop. Time to change the conservatism setting on the Peregrine I think.
My deepest was 109', avg depth was 61', for a 37 min dive. Entered the water with 3550 psi in a Faber HP 100. Exited with 750 psi after I did a 5 min safety stop, although my Zoop only wanted me to do a 3 min SS. My pony is a 30cu Catalina.
Why do you want to change the conservatism setting? The two computers won't match up due to using very different algorithms. With your current settings, you'd likely see the Zoop being more conservative on a second dive with no changes at all (due to the different algorithms). This is one reason I prefer to have two identical computers (or at least computers using the same algorithm). When I was using 1 shearwater using ZHL-16c with gradient factors and a backup oceanic (uses Z+ or DSAT algorithms) I found the Oceanic would put me in deco on repetitive dives much faster than the Shearwater. The algorithms are just quite different. As a result, in order to simplify the dives, I try to use computers with the same algorithm these days.

Why do you want to change the conservatism setting? The two computers won't match up due to using very different algorithms. With your current settings, you'd likely see the Zoop being more conservative on a second dive with no changes at all (due to the different algorithms). This is one reason I prefer to have two identical computers (or at least computers using the same algorithm). When I was using 1 shearwater using ZHL-16c with gradient factors and a backup oceanic (uses Z+ or DSAT algorithms) I found the Oceanic would put me in deco on repetitive dives much faster than the Shearwater. The algorithms are just quite different. As a result, in order to simplify the dives, I try to use computers with the same algorithm these days.
Ideally, yes two computers with the same algorithms is the goal. The Zoop I have, came in the console on the 1st regs I purchased, used from my LDS. I purchased my Peregrine new, and am hoping Shearwater will develop a Peregrine with AI soon, so I can get rid of my Zoop back-up computer. I will prob do a comparison on the 2 computers I have again, but on a 2nd dive; before I do the switch.

Humber Bay, Lake Ontario on January 1st, haven’t been there since 2019. Lots has changed in terms of bottom topography. A new shipwreck (to me): a little fibreglass sailboat escaped from the marina and sank a couple of years ago.

Saw some invasive shrimp (Bloody Red Shrimp). Temp 3C, viz 15m.

Topside was way more tidy than last time, no garbage in the parking lot at all.

Nice relaxing dive to start the new year.

Attachments

• 98BC6388-381A-42A3-B039-0A6882DB9944.jpeg
    98BC6388-381A-42A3-B039-0A6882DB9944.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 36

Back
Top Bottom