Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got back from 10 days in Aruba (after a 10 day trip there in July) - perfect weather, great diving/snorkeling, beautiful beaches and excellent restaurants… and hassle-free entry and exit!
Please post a trip report thread, and tell us what you thought of the topside experience staying on Aruba vs. Grand Cayman. I've visited Aruba twice by cruise ship (never dove there); arid place a bit like Bonaire. I'd also like to hear how your total trip cost between the two compared.

Aruba offers sandy beaches and strong brand name recognition outside the dive community; if the Caymans remain too uncertain to commit to for trips for months to come, more people will make spring/summer 2022 plans for elsewhere. Good diving, nice topside, nice beaches...might be time to start making a list of places.

Hope the Caymans government gets their requirements list clarified for us all. I still hope my family can come someday.

We’re still wanting to do Grand Cayman in six or so months. One issue is the insurance to cover “…repatriation flight costs” that the Cayman gov’t‘s current travel rules requires.

Anybody have a good suggestion for this? We have DAN and are exploring heir coverage, but are interested in options.

We’re still wanting to do Grand Cayman in six or so months. One issue is the insurance to cover “…repatriation flight costs” that the Cayman gov’t‘s current travel rules requires.

Anybody have a good suggestion for this? We have DAN and are exploring heir coverage, but are interested in options.

We used Travelex when we went to Turks & Caicos last year, and it covered flight costs for repatriation as well as any and all COVID related costs should you become infected.

Double check, I am not sure if they have changed their policies.

Hi everyone. Well we made it. Cayman has (or will in 34 minutes) entered phase 4 of the reopening plan.

Securely vaccinated travelers may come back to visit us. There is an application process, and lateral flow tests that must be completed on days 2, 5 and 10. I've updated our border opening page with this information, along with a map of the testing sites.

Tony

Hi everyone. Well we made it. Cayman has (or will in 34 minutes) entered phase 4 of the reopening plan.

Securely vaccinated travelers may come back to visit us. There is an application process, and lateral flow tests that must be completed on days 2, 5 and 10. I've updated our border opening page with this information, along with a map of the testing sites.

Tony
Good luck - but no way I’d consider Cayman as a destination while the application and periodic testing after arrival are still in effect! To me, it’s just not worth the hassle and risk given what other destinations require at this point!

Tony
Hi Tony.

Thanks for the updated information.

What is the cost of a lateral flow test or PCR to the visitor? Are you able to make an appointment to have the test done so that it is done quickly? I see that there are few testing sites in some areas (e.g. the East end), perhaps the demand will be equally low there?

I recently visited Bonaire while the day 5 antigen test was still required for visitors from very high risk countries. The appointment for the test was made for me on arrival and took place at a very efficient drive through location. The cost of the test was borne by the Bonaire government. Given the inconvenience of the 3 test sequence, it would have decreased the burden to the visitor if the cost was covered by the Cayman Islands. As it is, it appears like adding insult to injury.

Best of luck with your phase 4 reopening.

One correction on flights. JetBlue is not offering a direct flight from Boston. You have to connect through JFK via a 5:30 am shuttle from Boston Logan airport. We’re booked for early January.
Did you have to complete your paperwork prior to making the flight booking? I am just wondering how the process really works. Thanks

Hi Tony.

Thanks for the updated information.

What is the cost of a lateral flow test or PCR to the visitor? Are you able to make an appointment to have the test done so that it is done quickly? I see that there are few testing sites in some areas (e.g. the East end), perhaps the demand will be equally low there?

I recently visited Bonaire while the day 5 antigen test was still required for visitors from very high risk countries. The appointment for the test was made for me on arrival and took place at a very efficient drive through location. The cost of the test was borne by the Bonaire government. Given the inconvenience of the 3 test sequence, it would have decreased the burden to the visitor if the cost was covered by the Cayman Islands. As it is, it appears like adding insult to injury.

Best of luck with your phase 4 reopening.
This article says about $30.00/test. I’ve. ot seen any info on appointments v. come-and-get-in-line.

For the two of us, it works out to $180.00 total for our planned trip. A relatively small amount in the whole scheme of things, but still kind of irritating!

This article says about $30.00/test. I’ve. ot seen any info on appointments v. come-and-get-in-line.

For the two of us, it works out to $180.00 total for our planned trip. A relatively small amount in the whole scheme of things, but still kind of irritating!

Thanks for the article, time will tell, we'll see how this works.

Our antigen test in Bonaire to return to the US cost us $65 per person, hard copy of the result available in 15 min. Testing was by appointment, worked very quickly and smoothly. We got an Abbott ID Now NAAT test for Bonaire entry, $125 per person.

If one was to be in the Caymans a week, I would think the day 5 test would be sufficient for return to the US and that there would, obviously, be no day 10 test. For a two week stay, or longer, seems like one would need all three tests and another to return to the US. The ease and speed of this testing remains to be seen. Of course, the negative NAAT test for Cayman entry is also still needed.

Back
Top Bottom