Got a fill that smells of plastic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to be sure if I drain it entirely and refill it with air, I should be ok, isn’t it?
But what if your shop is "banking" that gas and filled other's tanks?

But what if your shop is "banking" that gas and filled other's tanks?
They don’t bank in the UK, it was an air fill too.

But yes I already contacted them and gave them the date at which I collected my cylinder just in case.

Also my fill was done before the 2nd of October so it’s unlikely to have been a widespread issue causing accidents since it was quite a long time ago.

A few things .. good catch.. I always smell taste check my tanks before leaving the shop... I would have it drained do a vis an cleaning..

Just to be sure if I drain it entirely and refill it with air, I should be ok, isn’t it?
That's the worst idea.
It smelt like vaguely burnt plastic
Which is toxic.
The burning of plastics releases toxic gases like dioxins, furans, mercury and polychlorinated biphenyls (better known as BCPs) into the atmosphere, and poses a threat to vegetation, and human and animal health.
No, take it for testing first to find out what's in it.
🎯
just to be sure: you say that I should analyse for CO isn’t it?
And anything else. If someone shot at me, I'd want proof.
I don’t know where I could get it analysed,
In a city of 9 million, I am sure that Google does.
Are you saying that even if I dilute it two times by draining twice it could be dangerous to use? I guess since we don’t know exactly what’s inside we cannot know.
:like:

At a minimum pull the valve off the tank and check the inside for any residue. If you want to be safe clean the tank.
I’ll ask a shop to do this, I don’t know how to do it.

The shop has offered to examine it again for me, so I’ll do this.

Do not use the cylinder or regulator until they have been tumbled and cleaned by professional dive shop. After a case of bad gas in Gainesville 10 years ago. Three of us ended up in the hospital one in the ICU and never returned to diving. Before you pull the valve, get a good lawyer and sue the sh## out of the fill station.

I had the exact same thing happen a year or so ago. I took the tank (still full) to a (different) well established, reputable shop and asked for a drain and refill. The shop owner overheard the request and came over to ask if he could smell the air. After doing so, he asked if I had dove with this tank, I told him no. He said with a great deal of confidence, that the odor "that new plastic smell" was caused by the tank fill station having wet filters. He also said that although it's annoying and distracting, it's not dangerous. Of course, with a laugh, he suggested I get all my scuba needs taken care of at his shop. LOL

He said with a great deal of confidence, that the odor "that new plastic smell" was caused by the tank fill station having wet filters.
How much would you bet based on such anecdotal claims?

Back
Top Bottom