Got a fill that smells of plastic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am not gonna dive it but I was wondering what a smell of plastic indicates? Does it indicate that the filter should have been changed or that the compressor was run too hot?

Have you contacted your gas supplier?

Plastic contains carbon as it's made from fossil fuels., I'd certainly have it checked for CO content. Do you know of any other divers who had fills done at the same time?

Have you contacted your gas supplier?

Plastic contains carbon as it's made from fossil fuels., I'd certainly have it checked for CO content. Do you know of any other divers who had fills done at the same time?
I will call them when they open and I have let them an IM.

I don’t have a CO analyser (sorry @DandyDon ), I’d have analysed it otherwise.

Unfortunately this is a stage they serviced and it was filled more than a month ago.

Does it indicate that the filter should have been changed or that the compressor was run too hot?
It means bad crap is in your tank. Who knows what, and what else? You need to take that tank to a capable and reputable testing facility and see what they tried to put in your lungs.
I don’t have a CO analyser (sorry @DandyDon ), I’d have analysed it otherwise.
I know, Jacques Cousteau and the next generation didn't have CO testers because we didn't have the technology. We do now, but so many try to live on luck, diving and sleeping. I hope you have a CO alarm in every bedroom. Back to diving, the UK has tighter standards than the US, but it only takes one bad tank.

What does plastic smell like? I think of it as being odorless....

Just to be sure if I drain it entirely and refill it with air, I should be ok, isn’t it?

What does plastic smell like? I think of it as being odorless....
I was thinking like that “new” plastic smell

To the op: the smell doesn’t necessarily mean anything, but I would still contact the shop, have them analyze the gas first, then pull your valve and look inside. Just to be certain. If they say that’s overkill, find a new shop. If they do it but charge you, it is what it is.
The plastic smell isn’t “normal” but I’ve had the same experience in the past and it never turned out to be anything

Just to be sure if I drain it entirely and refill it with air, I should be ok, isn’t it?

No, take it for testing first to find out what's in it.

Draining it and filling with air max dilute the bad stuff to a point that the contents can't be measured correctly.

@Searcaigh just to be sure: you say that I should analyse for CO isn’t it?

I don’t know where I could get it analysed, I’ll maybe ping a bigger shop on Sunday.

Are you saying that even if I dilute it two times by draining twice it could be dangerous to use? I guess since we don’t know exactly what’s inside we cannot know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom