USD Conshelf 1st Stage DIN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you need the exact dates? As they were many changes over a number of years.
They were first designed developed and manufactured in UK for the Royal Navy using the thread from the first stage body after discarding the A clamp, (Yoke screw and retaining ring.)

The first design was a mimic of the front end spring retainer drawing with a matching internal thread to the first stage body. A standard European DIN 200 bar connector was attached with the standard 1/4 BSPP thread (Whitworth form) with the 60 degree cone seat and sealed using a Delrin or Acetal plug
The original DIN hand wheel was a brass CZ120 HOT stamping as opposed to the later fully machined Brass CZ121 handwheels made from bar stock.

There were also varients made at the same time and later, some from Phosphor Bronze for special applications and one other material variant that I'm not sure can be made on a public forum

Other modifications were made to allow the first stage to be attached outside of a submersible or diving bell to allow while acting as a "tracking" regulator to suppy Built in Breathing Systems BIBS with gas at a specific internal pressure irrespective of the bell or sub depth or indeed the water column, or the rate of accent or decent.

(A new design valve for this application is now used (no longer using US Divers or Aqualung parts) for these specific applications and have been developed for use in up to 3000 metres depth.)

The second development form used O-ring seals and the third form came some years later for the American recrational market using the American UNF thread form and a change in the external shape and simplfied fully machined DIN Handwheel.

To be brutal there was never a point when they became DIN adapable the Conshelf XIV always had a thread on the back end for the A clamp to screw onto and was there all along.

Once US Divers were sold off and the French took over the Aqualung Group under Air Liquide it all went down hill. Aqualung didnt have a clue and went down the route of sports diving and womens gear colours fashion base ball hats and crap trinkets from Taiwan and the US Navy started buying recreational sports gear from Italy and Blackburn. Now that its all owned by some venture capital Manderin Fish venture capitalist pond life leaving the rest of us wondering why we cant buy spares kits anymore. Go figure. Iain

To be brutal there was never a point when they became DIN adapable the Conshelf XIV always had a thread on the back end for the A clamp to screw onto and was there all along.

After I posted this question, I did some more research and I believe, answered my own question. For those interested, here we go.

The Conshelf XI had the smaller yoke, it was the the Conshelf XII that saw the introduction of the "heavy yoke" but it did not thread down on the body. Same yoke used on the heavy yoke RAM (discontinued in 1975). It was sometime after that, or the introduction of the Supreme, that we see the threaded body that the yoke screwed down on. And it was that model, and the Conshelf XIV that we see the DIN adapter option, you unthread the yoke and thread on the DIN.

Let me know if anyone out there had a different idea?

I found this on vintage scuba forum:
1965-1969 the Conshelf VI regulator was in the catalog
1970-1971 Conshelf XI appears
1972-1976 Conshelf XII is now marketed
1976 Conshelf Supreme
1977-1982 Conshelf XIV and Supreme
1983-1984 Conshelf 20, Conshelf 20 Supreme, Conshelf XIV, and Conshelf Supreme listed
1985 Conshelf SE Supreme, Conshelf 20, and Conshelf 20 Supreme

Back
Top Bottom