A fake BPW for a small child, ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TzTz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I want to build my 5-year-old a BPW (and a regulator + tank and pretty much all other accessories such as lights, compass, slate, etc.) as a toy/ costume.
He's small, so probably going with 1-inch webbing for the harness. Will sew Cordura fabric into a donut shape for wings.

Any suggestion on backplate material?
Other ideas?

For tanks, I’ve seen toddler costumes using 2 liter soda bottles, but those would probably be too small for a 5 year old.

I used two pint beer cans when I was a kid 🤣

James79 has plans for a cutting board backplate at...

You could use PVC to make the tanks and manifold.

Thanks all for your comments.
I ordered stuff from strapworks for the harness (I chose 1-inch hardware, now realizing 1.5 would have been better. learning in progress), still considering the other parts.
I Will update and upload some pics in case someone else wants to get their toddler into diving.

I'm getting there.
Got most of what I need, will try a cardboard prototype and if it works, I will take it to the next step.

I like the idea of a realistic scuba-make-believe kit.
The plate's length is 10 inch, and that fits him great. So I guess soda bottle should work for a tank and will have good proportions.

Attachments

• IMG_20211119_133931260.jpg
    IMG_20211119_133931260.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 66
Any idea what you’re going to make the BP out of?

Any idea what you’re going to make the BP out of?
HDPE plate, covered in chrome-looking sticker sheet.
Wing from a Cordura fabric with a bit of hollow fiber filling for some loft.

I am still thinking of the regs and hoses. A 5-year-old should be happy with a mouthpiece on a surgical tube attached directly to the bottle's cap.

And the fun part would be adding accessories. Great gifts for the holidays :)
(A watch, compass, bolt snaps, reel, slate, etc.)

Back
Top Bottom