Trip Report New San Diego Wreck / Fishing Vessel (240 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We have located another new wreck in San Diego. We do not believe that anybody else has dived it. The target was initially identified by Tyler Stalter and I did the first dive on it Monday from the Marissa. We were hoping it was an airplane but it ended up being a boat.

Conditions were unbelievable good in "Lake of the Pacific" on Monday. The sun was out and the ocean was literally less than1 foot swells and almost no wind. Visibility was great but it was definitely dark at at the bottom.

The wreck is interesting. It looks mostly stripped but the engines are still there. The cabin is off to the port side and it took the deck with it so they engines are totally exposed.

We have not identified the specific boat but you can tell by the pictures it appears to be a sport fishing boat. My guess is about 30-40 feet long. We have also posted the coordinates for the wreck in case anybody else wants to dive it and maybe bring a scrub brush to look for names, CF numbers, etc.

More pictures and information about the location are in my post below:

Here is a picture of the cabin off to the port side of the bow:

mfv-6.jpg

I've seen that target on Google Earth. It's funny how many shipwrecks are located just a mile or so from the opening of harbors. It's almost as if they were scuttled on purpose. :)

I've seen that target on Google Earth. It's funny how many shipwrecks are located just a mile or so from the opening of harbors. It's almost as if they were scuttled on purpose. :)

I had a buddy in college who had a small ski boat that he cracked the hull during rough weather. He looked into repairing it, which was way too expensive. He attempted to donate it, which no one wanted a cracked boat. He tried to throw it away but the disposal cost at the dump was pretty excessive. One day, we noticed he didn't have the boat any longer.

We later found out he made his own "contribution" to the Wreck Alley project off San Diego.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom