Purchasing Dive gear in the Maldives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks
I didn’t see a thread on anything but diving so opening this thread.
I am looking at buying either of RK3 or Scubapro Nova fins and perhaps my first backplate mount setup like Mares XR Single or the Xdeep Zen for example. Just an initial short list of models/brands but happy to look at other options.

A search online did not throw up dive shops with a presence online with the entire range of goods displayed, while I did see many walk-in stores listed.

Which shops would you recommend I checkout that will have the gear I am looking at? I am contemplating a trip over there early to mid next year.

Lastly how do the prices compare to say shopping in the EU US ID or TH? Is there a heavy customs duty on goods? Is not paying VAT or taxes an option for visitors on a short trip?

Thanks

Why not buy your gear at home? It seems like you would certainly have a wider selection with access to online retailers from there instead of depending on local shop inventory in a tourist location, especially if you're interested in a BP/W setup.

Even if you stay on a local island, you will only have a limited choice of perhaps 2, max 3 dive shops rather making their business with dive excursions than with sale of equipment.
The idea of a shopping tour from shop to shop is therefore not really working. Moving to an other island just to visit a dive shop to buy equipment is by no mean cost effective.
That's even more true if you are looking for a very specific equipment. Do an internet research from home and chose the best price.

Ok. Purchasing in my home country is not an option due to ridiculously exorbitant pricing. Hence the post. What about in Male where the touchdown airport is?

Ok. Purchasing in my home country is not an option due to ridiculously exorbitant pricing. Hence the post. What about in Male where the touchdown airport is?

Order online and have it shipped to the Maldives?

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that the cost on a small group of islands to be not far below the cost of your home country if you were to buy on the islands. And I’d be surprised if a BP/W would be available at all.

Maldives is a very well known diving destination and attract a lot of experienced divers from all over the world. I do believe most of them would have their own gears and should have plenty of time to purchase anything before setting off.
What made you think that Male airport would have selection of diving gear?

A quick question to the local operator?

Maldives is a very well known diving destination and attract a lot of experienced divers from all over the world. I do believe most of them would have their own gears and should have plenty of time to purchase anything before setting off.
What made you think that Male airport would have selection of diving gear?

A quick question to the local operator?

Not the airport but shops in the city… ( perhaps a missing comma confused the message).

Here is one example... Scuba ilk
Google Map on Malé and then search for dive shops. You can compare the prices whith those of your home country and then decide whether it's worth spending that time in that city.
Have you thought about guaranty claims in case of?

The city of Male is actually on a different island than the airport, which is on Hulhulé. Not too hard to get between. Supposedly there actually is/was a dive shop in the airport, but in the departures area which would be difficult to get into until you are leaving on an international flight. (Duty-free dive gear instead of duty-free liquor?) No idea if that is still true. Maybe you will have luck on Male. I suspect most dive shops on other islands are more about tours and have plenty of rental gear, but I'd be surprised if there is much for sale besides accessories, masks, that kind of stuff - especially if you are fairly particular about what you want.

The Maldives in general strikes me as an unlikely and challenging place to shop around for dive gear. If you can't find much info online, which doesn't surprise me, your best bet might be to individually email dive shops on Male, or on islands you might visit, and ask.

I wonder if a better question would be "where can I easily/cheaply travel that has a good selection of dive gear to buy?"

I have seen dive gear shop or two in Male but don't recall being overly excited by anything that I saw. That said, I had all my gear with me. I window shopped some computers but now don't recall anything about them either.

Are you going specifically to dive or are you going to work there?

If you're going to dive, why not ask the dive operator what's available and where.

If you're going to work there, same thing. Ask your employer, they may know.

I'm sorry that my memory is so poor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom