EgyptAir rule on Lithium ion battery for dive lights for Egypt domestic flights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tsuyoshi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello:

Got a LOB trip at Hurghada fast approaching and I come across EgypeAir's PDF re that Underwater lamps are forbidden. Can anyone that had returned and flew Egyptair domestically in Egypt comment on how Li-ion batteries for dive flashlights are regulated on these flights? TIA

Hi!

I took 3 domestic flights with Egypt Air between mid September and mid October. When you check in online, there is a statement that all lithium ion batteries are not allowed for travel and they asked you to certify you don’t have any. So I never checked in online. There’s no point anyway if I still need to do a bag drop. I found this, and printed it/carried it in case I had issues at security or check in.

At the airport, there is a sign at some airports at their check in counter with the chart found in that link. No issues with underwater lights and if you have been to Egypt you know how crazy security is. You can be checked up to 3X before the gates. (1X to get into the airport or check in area, 1X after the check in, and sometimes 1X right before the gate.) I had my rollerboard camera bag opened and inspected each time at each airport and my Big Blue light was on top, Sola hidden away (not on purpose, it fit better further down).

In Cairo, this year and 3 years ago, security before the gates but after check in was concerned about batteries. Any kind of batteries that were not in devices. Nothing specific to my flashlight. There is usually a limit on how much lithium ion (spares, especially) you can carry but they will target any kind of portable batteries including alkaline or ni-mh, gopro lithium ions, etc. 3 years ago they tried to confiscate all my eneloops for my strobes but they were nice and polite. I kept explaining it’s not lithium ion and they called an Egypt air representative/flight crew (pilot/first officer) over and I was cleared. There have been reports on TripAdvisor of people getting all their batteries taken, including camera batteries and all their others. Prior to flying out of Cairo this time, I spread out all my batteries into random places - 2032, gopro, lots of eneloops, CR123…..and also put them into as many devices as I could or make it less obvious. At the third security before the gate, the guy picked up my gopro battery charger with 1 battery in and said just one and I said yes. (I had 4….)

This issue is unique to just Cairo. I hope this helps.

Why not ask Egypt Air for clarification? Anecdotal experiences from individuals may have very little to do with actual regulations.
Couldn't get through the phone with them at all. And with my previous international travel experience, I definitely think YMMV.

Hi!

I took 3 domestic flights with Egypt Air between mid September and mid October. When you check in online, there is a statement that all lithium ion batteries are not allowed for travel and they asked you to certify you don’t have any. So I never checked in online. There’s no point anyway if I still need to do a bag drop. I found this, and printed it/carried it in case I had issues at security or check in.

At the airport, there is a sign at some airports at their check in counter with the chart found in that link. No issues with underwater lights and if you have been to Egypt you know how crazy security is. You can be checked up to 3X before the gates. (1X to get into the airport or check in area, 1X after the check in, and sometimes 1X right before the gate.) I had my rollerboard camera bag opened and inspected each time at each airport and my Big Blue light was on top, Sola hidden away (not on purpose, it fit better further down).

In Cairo, this year and 3 years ago, security before the gates but after check in was concerned about batteries. Any kind of batteries that were not in devices. Nothing specific to my flashlight. There is usually a limit on how much lithium ion (spares, especially) you can carry but they will target any kind of portable batteries including alkaline or ni-mh, gopro lithium ions, etc. 3 years ago they tried to confiscate all my eneloops for my strobes but they were nice and polite. I kept explaining it’s not lithium ion and they called an Egypt air representative/flight crew (pilot/first officer) over and I was cleared. There have been reports on TripAdvisor of people getting all their batteries taken, including camera batteries and all their others. Prior to flying out of Cairo this time, I spread out all my batteries into random places - 2032, gopro, lots of eneloops, CR123…..and also put them into as many devices as I could or make it less obvious. At the third security before the gate, the guy picked up my gopro battery charger with 1 battery in and said just one and I said yes. (I had 4….)

This issue is unique to just Cairo. I hope this helps.
Thanks. That helps a lot. So what did you do with the Big Blue lights (I've got those) batteries, leave them in the torch?

Thanks. That helps a lot. So what did you do with the Big Blue lights (I've got those) batteries, leave them in the torch?
Yes, I left it in the torch. I didnt screw it on all the way so it couldn’t be turned on accidentally. I had a small 1100-1200 lumen one and not the gigantic ones.

Yes, I left it in the torch. I didnt screw it on all the way so it couldn’t be turned on accidentally. I had a small 1100-1200 lumen one and not the gigantic ones.
I leave all my batteries in my lights and other equipment. I put a little piece of paper over the terminals so they can't turn on.

I leave all my batteries in my lights and other equipment. I put a little piece of paper over the terminals so they can't turn on.
This sounds like a better idea because I had to deal with the o ring and ensure debris didn’t get on it along with where it sits. Thanks for the idea!

This sounds like a better idea because I had to deal with the o ring and ensure debris didn’t get on it along with where it sits. Thanks for the idea!
Some people put the batteries in backwards.....but that doesn't always fit and makes me nervous.

Back
Top Bottom