Both Ferry Companies Running Daily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looks like both Winjet and Ultramar are running daily now. Great.

479C627F-86EB-4C0F-9FF0-494A42C0EA9E.jpeg

5408C5B8-AE56-4431-98E8-24039D345961.jpeg

WTF
So a few months back they were ordered to stop the duopoly BS and quit the alternate day operations. It was reported they found a friendly judge (Mexico city $$$??) who issued an amparo (stay pending appeal) allowing them to continue the Covid emergency coordinated operations.
Sounds like they lost the appeal and now are each forced to run daily operations. The solution to this intrusion on their duopoly appears to be:
:drummer: Each run 1/2 schedules alternating even and odd hours switching each day to avoid any competition.

This does not add capacity and has the potential to make it much worse in the event of a busy day in which the authorities enforce the capacity restriction. How's this for a fun holiday scenario: You buy an inflated gringo tax ticket and stand in line on Playa Pier only to be denied boarding because the ferry reaches capacity. You cant use that ticket on the next ferry because its the other company, so you get to wait 2 hours for your companies next ferry or buy another ticket from the other company and hope to get on the next ferry.
I doubt very much if a refund from either company is possible on an unused ticket.

WTF
So a few months back they were ordered to stop the duopoly BS and quit the alternate day operations. It was reported they found a friendly judge (Mexico city $$$??) who issued an amparo (stay pending appeal) allowing them to continue the Covid emergency coordinated operations.
Sounds like they lost the appeal and now are each forced to run daily operations. The solution to this intrusion on their duopoly appears to be:
:drummer: Each run 1/2 schedules alternating even and odd hours switching each day to avoid any competition.

This does not add capacity and has the potential to make it much worse in the event of a busy day in which the authorities enforce the capacity restriction. How's this for a fun holiday scenario: You buy an inflated gringo tax ticket and stand in line on Playa Pier only to be denied boarding because the ferry reaches capacity. You cant use that ticket on the next ferry because its the other company, so you get to wait 2 hours for your companies next ferry or buy another ticket from the other company and hope to get on the next ferry.
I doubt very much if a refund from either company is possible on an unused ticket.
You are exactly correct - for the folks cheering that both companies are running, read the fine print - it added two or three trips in the middle of the day when they are slow anyways.....

The change is acually about a loss for the folks having to wait in line for two hours...

I am happy they finally added mid day departures from Playa! The last few times I was on the ferry it was not even close to full either way. Now the car ferry…that is horrIble.

I am happy they finally added mid day departures from Playa! The last few times I was on the ferry it was not even close to full either way. Now the car ferry…that is horrIble.
I love the car ferry.

Good news for those unfortunate enough to not fly direct lol.

Back
Top Bottom