El Moro needs help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure that horn34 was the only one in the entire establishment who was not charmed.
Do you think anyone else needs to apologize besides horn34?
Just a thought, this thread was started to help el Moro. So does loud harpies, and, generally over the top good noise, criticized by seeming hermits drive away business or encourage more visitations? Or did the hermits lose sight of the original thread because they had nothing better to do or say?

Maybe we should ask Rey if we (drunken fools) hurt or hinder his current business state.

I've always thought of Mexico as a noisy country. Service trucks drive through streets blaring messages and riffs over loudspeakers. Bars ahd shops blare music through open doors that can be heard blocks away. Horns are honking, roosters are crowing, and dogs are barking. Nobody sends to get bothered by somebody else's noise. Of course, there is a time and place for everything, including quiet.

I think of most restaurants as a place for boisterous conversation. Someone mentioned a quiet zone sign so maybe El Moro is aiming for an upscale fine dining atmosphere where whispered voices join the tinker of silverware over soft piano music. Still, large groups tend to be loud groups so maybe restaurants that want quiet shouldn't seat tables of 12?

Maybe we should ask Rey if we (drunken fools) hurt or hinder his current business state.

A noisy restaurant with people drinking & partying draws attention and more patrons while one that is empty and quiet is often passed by. I can remember one occasion when Cozumel was a ghost town due to recession dining at Casa Denis... We and some others had finished dinner and paid our bill and the waiter just kept bringing free rounds of drinks over and over to keep us there... People dining and partying draws more people. After like 4 or 5 free rounds I personally had to say no mas but it worked... Over those next 2 hours they managed to land and fill another 7-8 tables while other restaurants in view were empty and closing up early.

Just a thought, this thread was started to help el Moro. So does loud harpies, and, generally over the top good noise, criticized by seeming hermits drive away business or encourage more visitations? Or did the hermits lose sight of the original thread because they had nothing better to do or say?

I know both sides of this. On the one hand I enjoy going out with friends for food and drinks, and I understand how with a big table when the alcohol is flowing, things can get boisterous. On the other hand I have been seated at a two top close to such a table where my dinner companion and I have had to practically scream at each other in order to converse.

In the latter situation I endure it with as much humor as I can muster, ask the waitstaff to move me to a quieter spot, or in the worst case, pay up and leave. I have done all three on occasion, but please don't characterize me as a "hermit" if I desire a quieter setting for my meal, OK? I will do my best not to break your trip.

There are bars/cantinas, there are restaurants, there are taco shops, and various other flavors of places where food and drink are served. Different kinds of places with different atmospheres. This isn't unique to Mexico, really. To me, anywhere in the world, "restaurant" (or the local equivalent word) conjures up an atmosphere where people can have conversations over their food without being disturbed by loud drunken groups. No doubt, loud drunken groups are sometimes tolerated if they're spending a lot of money. This can lead to a dilemma in tourist areas, where tourists may believe they are the kings of the roost because they spend a lot of money. Just because your group's behavior is tolerated doesn't mean it's really all that welcome or is the right thing to do. It's not just us fuddie duddies who like a quiet meal with our honeys at the end of a long dive day. Maybe local families want to enjoy a low-key meal together, too. As tourists (or expats), we need to figure out what is expected at any given place. "Restaurant" may not be dispositive, but it should be a clue to look into the expectations of the place further before becoming "those people."

The bottom line in the case of El Moro:

Another thing to consider is that different people have different perspectives on what is a "loud drunken group". Even one person's perspective might vary depending on their mood. I think I'd have to see video before drawing conclusions on whether a group is acting inside or outside the boundary of reasonable behaviour.

I think I'd have to see video before drawing conclusions on whether a group is acting inside or outside the boundary of reasonable behaviour.
I post those on FB where I can complain without starting a fight.

As a 3P's diver now for the past 7 years I find it hilarious that someone said a group of 3P's divers was drunk or loud and such at El Moro. Geeze, how many big groups of 3P's divers and other divers have I been out with for dinner and drinks over the years? Plenty. Over that time I can't recall a single incident regardless of group size or destination where I'd say the volume level got to a point that others dining could somehow be bothered or offended or something. I mean, we all have to be diving the next day so just how loud and drunk can one get the night before and not feel like total crap when ya have to get up and have breakfast and be at the shop by 7:40AM?

As another basically said, if ya want to dine around a buncha sticks in the mud who mindlessly stare silently at their smart phones all dinner long with nothing but the sound of clinking silverware and dishes complemented by some soft background music there are plenty of places like that. El Moro isn't one of them and if it were I wouldn't be dining there. I surround myself with fun people and dine at the establishments where the fun people hang out. My kinda dive friends enjoy having fun together and have no time for their smart phones other than sharing pics... The fun people put social media on hold and enjoy the moment with friends be they old friends or new.

The large table full of 3 Pelicanos geriatric drunks and shrieking harpies was extremely pleasant to be around tonight.
Until @horn34 says otherwise, I'm going to take his comment, "extremely pleasant to be around" literally.

Until @horn34 says otherwise, I'm going to take his comment, "extremely pleasant to be around" literally.

Of course horn34 meant what he said... He's from Texas for God's sake! Sounds like someone I'd like to dive, dine and drink with... Maybe together we could even offend some closet case who thinks the world should be silent or put on mute like his phone.

Back
Top Bottom