Scubapro BC Geo - 3-failed dumb valves all on 2 dives - Looking for feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, sounds like a plastic rot.

Plastic rot usually starts with a bad batch, or bad formula, of plastic. Exposure to sun (UV), excessive heat, ozone, extreme cold, will shorten the life of any plastic, but normal care will avoid these conditions and should easily last over 5 years.

I have a lot of old gear, several times that age that I use occasionally showing no issues. Some go back to the early '60's, I don't trust it nearly as much as my new gear, but it is still functional. I would bet they tried a new plastic, or the quality control was lacking.

I had the same issue happen with my SP Seahawk all three valves just fell crumbled like a cookie. It was 8ish years old BC. Washed it after dives and thoroughly rinsed out after every trip. Stored indoors in guest bedroom with AC. My wife has a 10+ year version of the SP ladyhawk same history storage no issues, she still uses to this day. I think it's got to be a bad batch or something like Bob said.... Any ways bought a backplate and wing and no regrets! Modular, modifiable, replaceable, seems like the way to go...

This is where you can see one of the benefits of a backplate and wing. You’d only need to replace the wing.

Marie hit the nail on the head. That's what sold me on BP/W. An issue with the bladder does not mean the whole rig is garbage.

Back
Top Bottom