Rental Opportunity in Akumal, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam Hunter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just bought a condo and remodelled it in Half Moon Bay in Akumal, Mexico. I bought this particular condo in this location because this is a really great spot to stay if you like to scuba dive. The Mesoamerican reef is directly off shore (5 minute boat rides). There are also a lot of Cenotes in the area close-by for cavern diving. The dive shop Akumal Dive Shop that services the area is very good operator.

A lot of people that visit Quinta Roo like to stay in Cozumel because it has the very best dive sites, but I prefer staying in Akumal better because the reef is very good there, it's less crowded generally, and plus it's on the mainland which offers access to the caverns. I can easily arrange trips to Cozumel from Akumal Dive Shop and get there by twin engine jet boat which is fast and efficient. A typical week for me includes a trip to Cozumel, several dives in Akumal's bay, and a dive excursion out to the Cenotes.

I wanted to share a website I made for my property as well as my AirBnB listing for my condo. I wasn't planning on renting the condo out excessively because I use it a lot myself and want keep it in very good condition. I do want to rent out sometimes, and was hoping to find clients who are scuba divers like me because I think they would get the most out of this rental opportunity.

Here is my website I made:

Lol Ka’naab, Akumal, Tulum - Lol Ka’naab

Here is my Airbnb listing:

Airbnb: Vacation Rentals, Cabins, Beach Houses, Unique Homes & Experiences

I'm not sure if this fits in the group rules or not. I was just curious about seeing what kind of feedback I might get posting this here.

nice job on the unit. modern but still has some authentic touches. this would be a great place to spend a holiday week or two.
i am not familiar with costs for accomodations in this area but price point at first glance seems a bit high for mexico.
good luck and enjoy !!

Very nice unit! It’s a little more per night then I would be willing to spend for that area and I wish the unit came with a washer (Airbnb website listing says it doesn’t) other than that I like it!

Very nice unit! It’s a little more per night then I would be willing to spend for that area and I wish the unit came with a washer (Airbnb website listing says it doesn’t) other than that I like it!
We actually have full maid service that will do your laundry. You have to tip them but they will do it. I will add something to the listing that explains this. Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

nice job on the unit. modern but still has some authentic touches. this would be a great place to spend a holiday week or two.
i am not familiar with costs for accomodations in this area but price point at first glance seems a bit high for mexico.
good luck and enjoy !!
I'm not sure if the price will be a detractor yet. Looking to get feedback. Other units in my building are a little less price but they are not as nice as mine, or my neighbours #9 who also really takes care of his place. Some the units in the bay have concrete couches and aren't as comfortable as mine and they don't keep their units up as well. Also it is is now high season when prices are a bit higher. Thank you for your comments on the interior design. I really worked hard to incorporate some Mexican flavour with modernization. There are some other guys who renovated and made it look very American and I didn't think that was right. When you are in Mexico I thought it should feel Mexican and I think the designer got that part right. We preserved the coral floors for example. Some people put wood ceramic floor over the coral which I thought made no sense. Thanks for your comments.

I'm not sure if the price will be a detractor yet. Looking to get feedback. Other units in my building are a little less price but they are not as nice as mine, or my neighbours #9 who also really takes care of his place. Some the units in the bay have concrete couches and aren't as comfortable as mine and they don't keep their units up as well. Also it is is now high season when prices are a bit higher. Thank you for your comments on the interior design. I really worked hard to incorporate some Mexican flavour with modernization. There are some other guys who renovated and made it look very American and I didn't think that was right. When you are in Mexico I thought it should feel Mexican and I think the designer got that part right. We preserved the coral floors for example. Some people put wood ceramic floor over the coral which I thought made no sense. Thanks for your comments.
We had a wonderful time on the opposite end of Half Moon Bay, so I'm glad to see quality AirBnB's there. Your place looks very nice, I don't think the price is out of line as long as you're not expecting to be booked all the time. I find Akumal very affordable, can you imagine how much it would cost for similar accommodations in a slightly larger town? Right on the beach? The style thing is always tough because tile countertops are very dated in the U.S.

We had a wonderful time on the opposite end of Half Moon Bay, so I'm glad to see quality AirBnB's there. Your place looks very nice, I don't think the price is out of line as long as you're not expecting to be booked all the time. I find Akumal very affordable, can you imagine how much it would cost for similar accommodations in a slightly larger town? Right on the beach? The style thing is always tough because tile countertops are very dated in the U.S.
I think Half Moon Bay is very undervalued area. The restaurants are very good, its on the ocean, and it lacks the traffic and annoyances of downtown/beachroad tulum and playa. I also like Puerto Aventuras, although I think Puerto Aventuras is a bit more commercial and less wild feeling than Akumal, so Akumal suits me better.
I really don't care that much if I rent or not. I'd like to get a few rentals to offset my costs a bit.
I decided on the talavera tile for the bathrooms and that part was a giant pain in the neck, especially with all the costs needed for the the arches in the older building I am in. It took me a year to get this place renovated in Mexico and did not not go as I expected. It's not uncommon for these guys to work a few hours a day and thats it in 30 degree heat.

Beautiful. I really like the design and layout.

We rented out our cottage in a Michigan beach town through VRBO/AirBnB, and always found it better to price it higher. We did it to offset our costs, but did not need to rent it out. Coincidentally, we could have booked it for almost every week last summer, but then we could never enjoy it!

We found that pricing it a little higher attracted a different clientele than the lower priced competition. Our place was on a very quiet street, with water views and private beach at the end of the block. We (and our neighbors) would not tolerate partiers or large groups. The higher price point and 3 night minimum helped pre-screen our renters a little better.

I think you have a great starting point, you can always adjust. The websites both offer analytics on your competition and you can use that to change price and other parameters if you want to increase bookings.

Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom